Computer To Telephone Calls!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by berean, Apr 12, 2004.

1. berean

berean Private E-2

I'm new to the com thing and I was wondering what is the best computer to computer/computer to phone/phone to phone package out there. Do I need any extra equip or do I need just a com and microphone. Will this be a good substitute for SouthWestern Bell or will I be disapointed? My system is a win 98se, broadband connection, 160 ram. Thanks for you help!!!! Matthew.

2. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

you migh want to ditch the computer entirely and go with a VOIP phone like those offered by vonage. They come complete with plan, we are just getting into the VOIP foray and I've looked at the equipment, it's really matured. I don't think that you would be happy with a computer based system unless you used it only occasionally. if you go with a VOIP phone then normal people can call you and you can get your own phone number, or even take your current one with you. Best of yet, anywhere the phone goes your number goes, so if you travel you could plug it into a broadband connection in a hotel room. For about $40 a month you can get an unlimited local/long distance plan with an 800 number, so even people calling you wouldn't incur charges. With an ATA adapter you could even wire the house so that all of your analog phones rign when someone calls you and you can pick up anywhere you have a current phone jack.
    that said, check out www.skype.com
    it's a P2P phone system, but it's only from computer to computer. I currently know of noone that's doing VOIP to POTS for free anymore. Dialpad used to, but I'm not even sure they're around anymore.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds