Batteries!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ThisChick, Oct 31, 2005.

1. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

Hey guys I am troubled here with this rechargable batteries. I got a wireless keyboard and mouse. And it's costing me lot's of money to replace the batteries every month. What type of rechargable batteries do you guys recomend? I am also looking for a good battery charger to go with them? So help me out here guys..Thanks in advace for your help..

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You'll have to check the manual of the mouse and keyboard. Quite often recharable batteries will not work in them. Or they will work but tend to break the product if you use them for prolong periods of time.

If you want to use rechargeable battries it's best to buy a product which comes with that in mind. Although to be perfectly honest I use a wireless keyboard and it doesn't take rechargeables, and I've now changed the batteries once (just last week) and I've owned it for 3 years, using it daily.

A mouse on the other hand burns through them. So all I can really suggest is checking the manual to see what you can use. Or buying a new mouse that comes with a base station (charger).

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I recommend NIMH (nickel metal hydride) or LI (lithium ion) both are good rechargable cells mutch better then NiCad (nickel cadmium) all three normaly only put out 1.2 V per AA sized cell and the nonrechargable store bought AA puts out 1.5V....i dont see how less voltage can damage electronics i think its just s ploy to boost batt sales...A freind of mine has used NIMH (nickel metal hydride) batterys in here wireless keyboard and mouse since she got them ( over 2 years ago) and shes never had a problem....

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Like i said, some mice work work them. Others don't work at all. You can put the batteries in and then it just won't turn on due to the lower voltage.

I have also broken mice by using recharables whne I'm not suppost to. Running something on a lower voltage then it's suppost to have can in fact cause damage. Ask an electrician if you don't believe me. It's really best to check the documentation and see what it says, it may not be an issue for you.

5. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

In that case what happens when nonrechargables start to go dead in the mouse and sink down to 1.2V ?? It frys the mouse?? and the voltage does drop thay just dont simply die... hell i have a MP3 player that will run off of 2 AA cells that have sunk down to 1V per cell...... Iv been working on electronics all my life i think i know a little about them ;).........

6. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Well I'm glad you know so much, I'd still suggest you talk to an electrician if you REALLY don't believe me.

As I said, running on a low voltage for PROLONGED periods of time CAN cause damage (note that I used the words PROLONGED and CAN. Not a FEW MINUTES and WILL).

7. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

I run rechargable NiMh bateries in my Sony camera and two cordless mice with no problems whatsoever. This is the way to go as it would cost a fortune to keep on buying regular batteries.

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

You can buy special battery chargers that WILL recharge ordinary batteries up to 6-7 times, I have read. Do NOT use Rechargeable battery chargers with normal batteries, though. They blow up, I believe. Bazza

9. zepper

zepper Corporal

NiMH batteries are nice but they are really designed for high drain applications, not low drain like keyboards. But it will still save on batteries over the long haul. Energizer NiMH are among the highest capacity (around 2300 mAh). Always keep two sets: one to use and one to keep on charge as you will be swapping them out more often than alkalines. I find that good brand Alkalines last about a year in my keyboard. I get good brand alkalines for under 50 cents each, so a buck a year ain't bad.

.bh.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds