nv4_disp.dll - Does it ever end?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heskey, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Heskey

Heskey Private First Class

Hey guys,

Like a lot of people over the years, this past year I've been plagued with nv4_disp.dll BSOD'ds, I've been fine throughout the summer but since reformatting my PC last week they've come back.

You'll find a dxdiag of my PC specs attached at the bottom of this post;

I get the normal BSOD, and the BSOD that tells me I'm stuck in a loop. I've also been shown the two errors posted at the bottom of this post whilst playing Medieval 2 : Total War.

The BSOD's occur at any time so long as I'm in a game; they happen during tasking battles, and when my PC is left idling on the campaign map whilst I go for a drink.

I've tried updating my chipset and video drivers; I've tried using Omega, and the manufacturer specific drivers. I've tried down-grading drivers.

The problem is still occuring.

Last time I had it, I spent 2 months relaying back and forth to XFX (The graphics card producer of this nVidia card) who, if I remember rightly sent me on a ghost trail involving forcing v-sync off; IIRC this helped, if not stopped the BSOD's and I'll try it again when I come back on Sunday, but until then, can someone offer any advice?

I would have thought after 7 years of plaguing, someone somewhere would be able to say "The problem is THIS. The solution is THIS."

Thanks for any help you can give me!

- Heskey

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Its not as simple as the problem is THIs and THIS.

I will say this though. If this problem follows you around through different driver versions, and you've even done a clean install to no avail, then the problem is likely to be hardware related.

Make sure you aren't overclocking, make sure your PSU is sufficient for your video card. Make sure you aren't overheating.

If all that is kosher, I'd start eyeballing that video card on it possibly being faulty. Does it only happen with that one game?

3. Heskey

PS. Forgot to upload said attachments before I left! Gotta wait 'til tomorrow to upload 'em now (Not at home)

Yeah it's followed me through various reformats :)

PSU is 600W, graphics card is nVidia GeForce 7600 on default setting (not overclocking) and my PC case is an Antec 900 or something; one of those with 4 giant fans in it so I doubt it's overheating (Problem used to occur in my old case that had no fans in either)

It happens when on any 3D game really, Medieval 2 and Company of Heroes are the only ones installed atm and it does it on both.

4. Heskey

Here's my DxDiag that I promised!

Attached Files:

5. Heskey

I've underclocked my GPU by 20mhz, IIRC this helped reduce and even halted the BSOD's a few months ago. If this doesn't work I'll be kinda clueless.

6. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

I am guessing you probably tried this already, however I had something similar, although not exactly like it happen to me, it was driving me nuts, to the point where I took the card out and wanted to throw it across the room (I of course didn't, but the urge was pretty strong)

Anyway, to the point, I pride my self on having a clean case, however, I neglected the GFX card fan, all my problems stopped when I removed the fan -EDIT- I actually removed the fan spinner, not the fan it's self -END EDIT- and removed the build up of dust there.

If nothing else it's something else to eliminate :)

7. Heskey

It's definately an idea, but I haven't the fogiest on how to remove just the spinner.

Though, I gotta say I've been on Medieval 2 and Company of Heroes for the past 12 hours without issue - So far so good with the 20mhz underclock.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds