t42 pin mod

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nash123, Feb 15, 2015.

1. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

hey:) im new here.
    i got ibm thinkpad t42, i855pm chipset, dothan 1.7(735).
    i follow about 3 guides from the internet(they all the same), but with no success.
    my pll is CY28346-2.
    here what i did.
    use spdtl too change to ddr266 and ratio of 3:4.
    connect pins 54 55.(with wire).
    when i connect it screen is blank.(even with speed fixed slow!)what can it be?
    if i disable speed step from bios, it boot, but not loading windows. it just blank again.
    tnx again forr your time:).

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sorry no-one as yet has answered your question, it is very likely that many many not as pin modding is a little out of flavour these days, possibly due to it may add some speed but at a cost, frying the CPU, if the pin mod works it taxes other components like RAM and those can fail, the motherboard could be old and any excess stress on it from pin mod or overclocking can make a component fail quicker that it would normally do.

If you remove all the mods, does your laptop boot into Windows ok?
    What were the guides you followed? maybe that will jog one of our hardware modding experts into reviewing.

But these days many on all sorts of forums stay well clear of helping folk hardware mod.

3. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Post a picture of your mod and I will see what I can do to help.

4. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

hey, this is my 2 pins 55 and 54(up left corner, the second and third).
    i need to cut 55 leg from motherboard?[​IMG]

5. ACE 256

No picture?:confused

6. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

its big picture... right click on it and open in new tab:)

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is no picture to click on. You did not include a link to get to the site you have the picture uploaded.

8. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

oh sorry you right:/
    2 pictures now.. one is original and the other is where i stuck the cooper wire..
    i tried with screwdriver too same result.
    tnx :)

Attached Files:

9. ACE 256

I have traced the the two pins as far as I can. One has a resister and one does not. I would assume that the path with the resister is a 3.3 (high) line, and the other is ground (low). Simply shorting a 3.3v line to ground can be problematic. I would guess the resister is there for current limiting. A volt meter would be of help here for sure. What is the stock FSB? I also need the numbers on the chip. A datasheat would be of huge help. If one pin is 3.3v and the other is ground. You need to isolate one from the other to make both ground or both 3.3v.

Attached Files:

10. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  11. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

ohh and here is bigger picture..

Attached Files:

12. ACE 256

You need a volt meter to confirm what pins are high and what pins are low currently.

13. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

crap i dont have volt meter:/
    maybe i will try this pin mod with other cpu?

14. ACE 256

A direct pin mod (under the CPU) is another option, if the PLL does not respond well or is to difficult to mod.

15. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

ohh, with guid to follow? the 915 pin mod?

16. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Nash, I reckon what your mod has done is to pull both pins 54 and 55 low. giving a 66M (frequency meter to check - I have one [ebay about $20 and upwards]. digital multimeter [voltmeter] about $10 and up to many thous anywhere)

To achieve your aim you need to pull both pins high (is my reading of the data sheet). Ideally you should connect pin 55 to 3.3V through a resistor like the one on pin 54 to the 3.3V line.

In practice the only way you might try to this is to short 54,55 together (as you have done) AND break the track connecting pin 55 to 0V (before anything else connects to it) so that that is o/c (cut 55 from m/b. "i need to cut 55 leg from motherboard?" - yes, that's the way I see it). this might connect pin 55 to 3.3V though the pull-up resistor. But it may not work, then you will be coopered because track-breaking is irreversible, unlike connect with wire. (my reading of pin numbers / logic table may not be right)

Personally I wouldn't try it. Anyway things are too small for clumsy old me.

Dumb_Question (electronics idiot)
    1.March.2015

17. nash123

nash123 Private E-2

tnx alot for your asnwer:)
    now im just waitng for getting pentium m 755.(2.0ghz).
    if it will not work with pin mod... i will cut the leg:/
    maybe i will get a volt meter like your guys advice me.
    i learning computer science... but hardware is more interesting:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds