Dell laptop boot, way too many beeps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheDoug, May 11, 2005.

1. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I've been given a Dell 500m laptop, WinXP P1.3M 256MB 20GB (Hitachi TravelStar), to troubleshoot. Initially, it gave a blue screen error of KERNEL_FAULT_INPAGE_ERROR, implying an imminent hard drive problem-- the owner reported hearing a clicking noise, and I observed a higher than normal temp from the area of the drive. I did a chkdsk /r from Recovery Console and it booted normally, with one exception-- POST beep codes that make no sense to me, 23-25 of them in fact. If there is a pattern to them, it would seem to be 4 then 11 (or 13), then 8. That doesn't jive with any Dell docs I can find. I did all the standard spyware & anti-virus protocols, getting rid of about 70 malwares, and 7 trojans. HJT now comes up clean as well. But still the beeps. Any ideas?

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Anyone?

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Is this what you have....it isn't specific to any make, model, desktop, or laptop, so I'm guessing it pretty much universal for all of dell!! Also...have you looked up the beep codes specific to the brand of bios....maybe????

1) A memory refresh failure occurred.

Reseat the memory modules.

2) Memory parity cannot be reset.

3) A failure occurred in the first 64 KB of memory.

4) The system timer is not operational.

See "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

6) 8042 Gate A20 cannot be toggled.

See "Contacting Dell" in the Solutions Guide for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

7) An exception interrupt error occurred.

8) A read/write error occurred in the display memory.

10) A CMOS shutdown register test error occurred.

11) An invalid BIOS is installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds