BIOS flash gone bad

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Aug 7, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I have been brought a Toshiba laptop where the owner's son thought that flashing the BIOS would correct a random shut-down issue. Needless to say, the flash went awry, and all the laptop does now is go to the power-on screen, with the big red TOSHIBA and at the bottom it says "press F2 for setup, F12 for boot devices" and that's it. It just sits there. There doesn't appear to be a BIOS reset button (some laptops have 'em where you can stick a paper clip into a little hole, hold it for 20 seconds, and it defaults the BIOS), nor is there any obvious access to the CMOS battery. I have created a bootable CD with the newest BIOS from Toshiba; the BIOS download includes an ISO for those of us without floppy drives. But it won't even attempt to boot to the CD. Is there any hope? Do they now own a $900 paperweight?

hd2k

BTW- Toshiba Satellite; model P105-S9722 running WinXP Pro (when it ran :( )

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You need a combination of keys to reset the bios in a Tosh.

Try esc + F1 or F2.

Hold down esc while powering on then pres F1

I think you also need HWsetup instead of Tsetup to use this bios.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds