converting text to csv file

Discussion in 'Software' started by proudtexan, Oct 20, 2009.

1. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

i was wondering if there is any free tools that will let ya scan and covert a
    scan file into lets say csv format to import in to a address book

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

A good free spreadsheet such as the one with Open Office will do this.

Perhaps you already have Excel this will also do this.

3. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

well i have open office but what program in that suite works to convert to csv

4. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

Calc is the Open Office equivalent to Excel.

Use that and import via
    Insert => "Sheet from File ..."

That will import a text file and then it can be manipulated / sorted / etc and then saved as a *.csv.

To start with you need a text file from a Scan.

I prefer "SysExporter" which is free from http://www.nirsoft.net/
    With that I can select any running application and capture its data into one of several data formatted text files, one of which is ready for Calc to import.
    It is able to capture "The list of emails and contacts in Outlook Express".

SysExporter is VERY versatile
    e.g. If I launch Task Manager and then minimise it to the task bar,
    SysExporter can still see AND EXPORT every process that Task Manager knows of, even if there are too many processes to see without scrolling.

Alan

5. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

ok i scan saved it as a text filr with wordpad then imported it into open office calc and saved it as a excel document xls then used a program called convert xls. all the info for my contacts such as email phone numbers etc was there after i converted the document. but once i imported it to my address book nothing was there but phone numbers not even the contacts name. what can i be doing wrong. i follow all the steps

6. alan12345

alan12345 Private E-2

You started right but finished wrong.

I think I remember exporting an address book from Thunderbird as a *.csv file and importing to Gmail without difficulty.

SysExporter can export a TAB delimitted file that CALC etc can import, and then you can alter the order of the columns as required, and the CALC can "Save As" a CSV file which is what Gmail wants.

I see no point in creating a XLS document and having Convert.XLS change it to some other format

Alan

7. proudtexan

proudtexan Private E-2

seems like converting the file as xls is the easiest way i cant figure out the sysexporter since the file im looking for doesnt show up with this program. its weird with the calc method how all the info like addresses emails etc shows up but once i import it to address book it doesnt show any info. man this is proven harder than i thought

8. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

A CSV or comma separated value file can be made with notepad.
    Scan or whatever you need to get the data in to notepad. Arrage the data in the fields so they look correct same
    first name, last name, address, phone, email..

save this as "address.csv"
    Now open it in Excel (or like)
    Now you can cut and move the columns of data in the order they will be imported say you need last name first. Maybe this is why the fields are not populating - they are not in order.

Then save it as an xls file and try importing. or save it as a CSV and import it.
    Whatever you need.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds