Help: BSOD 0x00000018 "reference-of-pointer" after installing new software

Discussion in 'Software' started by christid, May 12, 2015.

1. christid

christid Private E-2

My Windows 8 is crashing with the BSOD 0x00000018 reference_of_pointer message. This started happening today after installing some new software. Keeps crashing every 30-60 minutes.

Not having the skills of analysing dmp files to locate the problem and repair the damage, I'm hoping someone is kind enough to share his/her expertise. (if you need a dmp file, thanks for telling me how to get it)

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try using System Restore to restore the computer to a point prior to the new software installation. I don't know how many apps you installed but, you could try re-installing them one-at-a-time to determine which one(s) are causing issues.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. christid

christid Private E-2

Hi satrow,
    I got the sysnative without problems, but ran into an error trying to create the perfmon report (administrator refusing to execute request). However, I found out that the report was still being created and I picked it up through perfmon.exe. Not sure, but hoping that this works too.

Thanks a million for giving my problem a try.

Attached Files:

5. christid

christid Private E-2

Thanks for your thoughts, mdonah. However, I'm trying to avoid having to reinstall all programs/apps so that's my last resort.

6. christid

christid Private E-2

I don't know if it will help define the cause of the crashes, but I got my first blue screen immediately after turning my PC into a wifi acess point through the program mHotspot. I had just installed the program (and possibly connected another PC to the access point) when it crashed, this was less than 24hrs ago. I can't see what triggers the crashes, since it also goes down when I'm not using the machine.
    ...by the way, I had both PCs scanned for visuses using Avast and Windows Defender.

7. satrow

Sorry, I can't currently access your SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip, judging by the way Avast is behaving here (I'm on a fresh Windows install, not everything is setup to my liking yet - security settings included), you might have zipped the Sysnative App, rather than the Sysnative folder that it should have created.

EDIT: cancel the above, after turning off all protection, I've now downloaded and opened it successfully, all seems in order, I'll analyse it soon.

8. satrow

This might be the first time I've looked at 0x18 bugchecks so bear with me. (I just realised it's the second time but that machine was only 3 miles away, cause = old wireless network driver.)
    The cause is 'something' affecting the networking subsystem, it also appears to be corrupting the networx.sys whilst it's held in memory.

Uninstall anything new, including disconnecting new hardware, from the last few days.

There's software installed that looks very much like snake oil/crapware or semi-useful that's bait for the same rubbish. Anything from Solvusoft has to go, undo any changes made from within the software first - if you can!

Disable any software that is set to access the Internet in the background, like BitTorrent, any online backup/Dropbox/Skype, etc. We need to get the machine stable enough to run through the Malware checks (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407) before we go any further. Read the above link carefully, follow all instructions and then create a new topic in the Malware forum with the required attachments, etc.

Once you have the all clear from the Malware team, return here with any further issues.

Good luck :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds