gps detected as serial mouse on serial/comm port

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stryfe, Nov 1, 2005.

1. stryfe

stryfe Private E-2

A system we use at work requires us to run gps's to serial ports. On occasion, after rebooting, windows detects the activity on the serial port as a serial mouse....then all hell breaks loose with the mouse....it jumps all over the screen left and right clicking as it pleases! It's actually quit funny...

The way we handle this...is bye killing power to the gps....which instantly calms the pointer down....then going into device manager and disableing the phantom serial mouse. It works....but the problem allways pops up again sooner of later.

I doubt many have had experience with this, but can anyone think of a way to prevent it?

Thanks for the help.

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check the bios settings to make sure that the Com Port is not set to WAKE-On setting, along with the fact that the serial port is set at Com2.

It also sounds like the Com Port setting in WinXP is set wrong for the Serial port, which I would check.

3. gay2jp

gay2jp Private First Class

Boot with the GPS off or disconnected. Once past the boot, the PC's mouse or touchpad should be in control.

4. stryfe

stryfe Private E-2

Thanks for the info guys.....will let you know my final results....when they are reached...lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds