New RAM makes my computer squeal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qwake, Jan 22, 2008.

1. qwake

qwake Private E-2

I got 2 GB of ram (two cards) and inserted them in the two available slots, next to the two 256MB cards.

Computer made three long beeps when I turned it on.

Then got a message that says: "The firmware has detected that a CMOS Checksum error has occurred."

Turned it off. Took 1GB of RAM out.

Turned it on. Computer made the long beeps. Then got a different message: "The firmware has detected that the memory has decreased."

And my monitor wouldn't work.

Turned the computer and monitor off. Took the other 1GB out.

Seems to be working fine now.

But I'd really like to add some RAM to this computer.

Thought I had exactly the right kind, but maybe not.

I could buy RAM from the computer mfr, but it costs about $40 more, and would have to wait for it, and it still also might not work (even if it comes from the mfr), and would have to ship it back and pay for shipping.

Any advice?

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I don't have any fixes for you, but if you download PcWizard and run it, you will get detailed info about the RAM (or any hardware) on your PC.
    To find out about the RAM, click the mainboard icon, then click on Physical Memory. You will get all the info about the RAM that is installed now and can make sure you chose the right RAM to go with it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_Wizard_d3846.html

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Before advice, two quick questions:

1. Make, model, and number of computer/motherboard?
    2. Full specs of the memory, including any part number printed on it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds