My Avatar Quit Rotating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by abri, Jul 8, 2006.

1. abri

abri MajorGeek

My avatar quit rotating just on the last two days of the world cup. Can anyone help me fix this?
    abri

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I'm assuming your using IE,go to tools,internet options,advanced in multimedia check that play videos and play animations are ticked if your using a different browser post the name of it,also delete temp internet files you'll have to log onto MG again and let animation be reloaded

It must be a prob with your browser as its spinning for me :)

3. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

its rotating here in my OPERA browser

4. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Rikki <go france>
    I just changed to Firefox, and that's probably when it stopped rotating. I checked Firefox for these settings, but can't find them. I'll try the delete temp files and see if that helps. At least I'm glad to know everyone else is getting it.
    Thanks! :)
    abri

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I hate to be the barer of bad news but its rotating for me in Firefox and Flock.. albiet its wizzing around x3 times the speed of IE, so much so I feel as if i'm going to passout :(

In Firefox check these setting are all ticked appart from "for the originating website only" setting is Tools > Options > Content menu

[​IMG]

6. abri

abri MajorGeek

yes, my firefox browser settings look just like the ones in the picture.
    my computer has quirks ... and they're growing.
    for instance, I can get people's posts in my e-mail notifications, however, when I link to those threads, the posts aren't there. The e-mail notifications were backed up until I ran CCleaner, and then they all came at once, but I've never had the experience that something posted in an e-mail notification wasn't posted in the thread when I linked to it. That's brand new!
    abri

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Weird.
    In IE, it's rotating.
    In Firefox, just as the page loads, it rotates maybe 1/8 turn and then stops.
    My FF settings are the same also.

8. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Cleared my private data in FF and it started rotating again but faster. Hang on for dear life!

9. abri

abri MajorGeek

what is FF?
    abri
    oh ... Firefox? if so, where is the private data?

10. abri

abri MajorGeek

okay, I think I'm getting part of the picture here. The e-mail notifications are notifying me of posts and private messages which have been removed from the Forum. Is that it? And this problem is not in any way related to the Avatar problem.
    abri

11. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Under Tools, right above Options.

12. abri

abri MajorGeek

Will that get rid of my bookmarks? That would be a great disaster for me.
    Much worse than a non-revolving avatar.
    abri ...
    oh!!! it's rotating again hahahahahaha
    oops ... now it's stopped
    <weep weep>

okay, one last comment. I went into the Major Geeks avatar list and all the balls are rotating except the soccer ball. That it was rotating a few seconds ago must mean it's some problem with the avatar itself and not with my browser.
    abri

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  13. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

This one rotating :confused:

[​IMG]

14. infoseeker

its really rotating

:) infoseeker :)

15. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Rotating fine here. Methinks it is an individual computer malf.

Sheesh, this has stired a lot of replies.

16. infoseeker

have you try to uninstall and reinstall your FF?

:) infoseeker :)

17. slider

slider Major Wise-***

No.

:)

18. abri

abri MajorGeek

It's working now, thank you. It seemed to have been a problem in the Major Geeks webpage of Avatars, although it only affected me and I seemed to be the only one who could see it. I went in and looked, and all the other balls (baseball, basketball, football/rugby ball) were rotating fine. I tried out the baseball. No problem. I had a lot of strange stuff yesterday, like my e-mail notifications not coming. When they did come, and I clicked on some of the links, Zone Alarm kept popping up with a warning that someone was trying to break into my computer. I found that odd coming from this particular website. Oh, and it just quit rotating again. Is there such a thing as harassment?
    abri

19. abri

abri MajorGeek

And now there is no soccer ball at all among the avatars in the Major Geeks avatar choices. Is the soccer ball missing at anyone else's Major Geeks Avatars that you get to through your profile?
    abri

20. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Just looked and that ball is on page 3 and still going like mad.
    Mine's not listed anymore.:confused:

21. abri

abri MajorGeek

I made a screenshot, which shows that the soccer ball is gone, but I don't know how to resize it, so I can upload it. Is there a way to get a screenshot to store as a jpg file?
    abri

22. AbbySue

AbbySue MajorGeeks Administrator

Whoa! Wait a minute! LOL There is a small vb bug, conflict if you will, where certain images for unknown reasons will either all of a sudden stop showing up completely or as in your case abri, stop animating.

This is a pretty random occurrence and is not necessarily browser specific but we have been fiddling with this and scratching our heads over it for quite some time. For example I cannot see some of the profile pictures anymore (G.T., N56's, etc)..I see a red X..however sometimes if I fire up opera I can see it. I can no longer see Kodo's avatar either...I get a red X...and some of the images in the malware removal guides, even ones I uploaded myself give me a red X but others see them fine....it's random.

We've played around with it...Halo, MA, chas, SPD & I can all go to the same page (OS & browser choice does not matter) and only 2 or 3 of us will see an image and the rest won't or all but 1 of us will.

Hopefully this and a few other minor bugs will be fixed in the next release of vb.

23. abri

abri MajorGeek

Oh, Sorry! Here you are over here at this thread :) I just posted to you at the other one. I'm glad to know that, because when several things happen all at once, I begin to think they might be connected, when they often aren't.
    Thanks!
    abri

24. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah what Abby say... vB got quirks in this version :D

The damm signout one was the worst, as soon as you have typed up a log post of PM then hit reply, you ended up logged off and had to type your post again, now I know me and Abby generally type up our long replies in notepad or similar and then copy and paste into the reply just incase the post goes funny.... not happened since last update but who knows, especially as some of my replies can be lenghty.

25. abri

abri MajorGeek

My own strategy for this was to copy my written text to the clipboard before I posted it, in case I ended up at the logged out or the invalid thread messages. Then I could re-log in and reinsert the text. The only problem was, I was never sure if it was then posting twice.

And as an added piece of the puzzle. My avatar, which was missing from the MG Avatar list this morning, appears in all the threads, but in some of the threads I can see it rotating and in others it isn't. I don't know if that information helps. I had thought it stopped altogether, but it seems to depend on when I posted.
    abri

26. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I think it's just a local phenomenon in certain individual PCs' browser caches. When I viewed this thread, the avatar moved for about 1 second and stopped. My fix was this: In Mozilla, and, I assume, Firefox as well, right click on the avatar and select View Image. Hold down Shift and hit Refresh. Press browser back button. Now it's looping endlessly again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds