kbdhid.sys

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Good evening, I'm running XP Home SP3.

I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonometric Keyboard and has lost the functionality in the My Favorites keys. I checked the control panels and it no longer even has the options to select, so I suspect that I did an update incorrectly. All other keys seem to work, its jsut the 5 My Favorites because I can't find a way to assign the keys.

So I visited Microsoft and downloaded the current software, but when I try to install it tells me that I have a missing kbdhid.sys file, which I understand to be the driver, and tries to point me to the SP3 disc, of which there is non because SP# was an online update. I download the full copy of SP3.cab file to my hard drive and tried pointing to that but to no avail.

How can I get this driver reinstalled and where can I find it (get a copy)? I've searched the MS knowledge base hoping to find a separate file download without success.

I noted also that in by Device Manager there are three HID keyboard entries, all have the same driver number, but I have only 1 keyboard? There may be a hangover here in that I used to have two different wireless keyboards but gave upon them and went back to this USB model. Can two of these be uninstalled and the third then updated with the new kbdhid.sys driver from above when that problem is solved?

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

It may be that you have still a copy of kbdhid.sys file on your computer (possibly in an i386 folder). Have you tried searching for it? You will need to SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and UNHIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES before searching (in Explorer>Tools menu>Folder Options>Advance settings list... click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box.)

Note: Before searching, in the Search panel, click More advanced options, and then click to select the Search hidden files and folders check box.

If you find the file, disconnect and then reconnect the keyboard and when you are prompted, point to the file.

If you can't find it, it should be on your installation CD (or someone else's, or in SP2 or SP3).

If you can't find it there, I have attached a copy of mine. You need to be careful where you get sys files from.

You can safely uninstall unused keyboard drivers.

Attached Files:

3. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Thanks man, it was is the Windows/System32/drivers folder all the time. I'm curious as to why the keyboard utility software forgot the path?

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Bad memory? :-D
    Glad it's fixed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds