chkdsk: A few questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dumb_Question, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I used to use chkdsk in the (distant) past to check floppy disks and then I'd have no compunction about using /f . Now, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to check out the hard disk on my PC, and I have questions about it before I go ahead.

I have done a couple of CHKDSK scans without any parameters specified, just by way of preliminary investigation.
    On the first it wouldn't do phase 3.
    The second scan was completed (did phase 3) and reported 0 bad sectors but a bunch of lost chains etc.

My questions are:

1. Is the result of the second scan reported above to be beleived ? (miracle of 0 bad sectors in 10+ year-old 80GB HD)

2a). If I specify /f should I convert lost chains/clusters to files ?
    2b). Presumably if I didn't miss the lost chains/clusters, I could do without them ?
    2c). How would I inspect what they used to contain, if I were interested ? In my experience XP will not open files of this nature (any unrecognised file types).
    2d.) If I do convert them to files then I can delete them, but what happens to them if I don't ? Do they sit there occupying disk space forever ?

3. If the 0 bad sector result is credible is there any point in scanning with /R option ?

4. If I scan with /R does it wear out the disk drive more than other types of scan as it is scanning "the surface of the disk"

Dumb_Question
    3.June.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

In response to 2C above there is a program for opening WXP unrecognized file types. It's called Open Freely. It will let you read the contents of the file types listed here.

In response to 4 above, the head never touches the platter and you wouldn't run chkdsk /R unless bad sectors were detected in the "no switch" run of chkdsk. If bad sectors were found in the initial scan, more than likely the disk is about to fail anyway.

10 years is a GOOD lifetime for HDs. My WD Scorpio 2.5 inch PATA in my Dell Precision M70 is approaching that and so far, it's still healthy — that's with numerous wipes, reformats, partitioning, re-installations (of both OS and apps) and gigabyte upon gigabyte of downloads. I have ordered a replacement drive in case I need one but, as long as it keeps chugging away... :)

3. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Thank you for your reply, mdonah. It addresses nearly every point I made, except whether I should convert lost chains/clusters to files or not.

What is the general opinion on this point ? What factors influence what should be done ?

Dumb_Question
    7.June.2013
    Compaq Presario S5160UK DT261A under XP/SP3
    Processor - Celeron 2.7 GHz
    Motherboard - MSI MS-6577 v2.1
    RAM - 1GB + 512MB (1GB +1GB max) DDR PC2700
    PSU - Octigen 300W model 10270PSOTG ('upgraded' from original Bestec 250W PSU [in 2011?])
    Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card in AGP slot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds