SouthTrust Bank--Alabama--Anyone heard of them????

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bigbazza, Jun 21, 2005.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I received this email today from a mob I have never heard with, never dealt with and don't have an account with them. I don't use ATM's or PIN based transactions. It appears to be genuine but may be just an attempt to drum up more business. The email address they used is mine, linked to an obscure West African website. I may have used it for other business but extremely rarely. I get "Nigerian 419" scam attempts on the email address used, as well. I don't intend to close it as it is now mainly used as a catchall for scammers.

Anyone in Alabama, please ring them up and find out what they are trying to attempt. Tell them I have reported them to AOL spam contacts in 2 couintries and also sent their email to scamorama.com

It may be genuine, but it is spam and possibly scam as far as I am concerned.

I use AOL :p so they obviously think I am a USA resident.

Bazza

===

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Bazza no genuine bank in the right mind will ever email ask you to re-enter a PIN etc especially into an obscure IP ( http://200.183.175.190:89/isoqlog/.www.southtrust.com/ ) *funny I get server not found* they would if their was a problem send you snailmail and ask you to login your normal way to the secure bank server.

Crafty buggers have used some real pages to disguise the scam tho.

Scam Scam SCAM... report and delete my friend :)

3. Publius

Publius Sergeant

I actually use Southtrust in Alabama and I have been getting this phishing email (along with ones from Citibank, morgan keegan, etc)for quite a while. It is always a scam!

If a bank really needs your information verified, a letter will be sent to you or a representative will call you (though I still wouldn't give out information over the phone).

4. bigbazza

It is certainly well done with https:// links, little locked padlock and all. Bazza

5. bigbazza

6. bigbazza

Halo, I did not pick up on the point you were making about the dodgy IP address :p http://200.183.175.190:89/isoqlog/.www.southtrust.com/

I thought you were posting a link about SouthTrust being a scam. I tried the link and it didn't work for me either. Google reveals all, however. :cool: Baz
    ===

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The link is from your post bazza, just not in URL form.. run your mouse over the URL. *EDIT> noticed your post above.... looks as if that url is now closed until they setup another IP etc

Definatly.. keeping each other upto date on latest scams is well worth it as some countries experience the scams before others.

8. bigbazza

9. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I get emails from the 419s all the time Most of the time I delete them. Once in a while, I write back for a week or so, then when I get bored, I email them, tell them I am bored, and then explain to them that any time I take away from them while they are at their "cafe" is time taken away from someone they might actually scam.

Love the ebola's man website, even if I don't agree with some of what he writes...lol

Gal

10. bigbazza

Check out www.scamorama.com for some great laughs. Links to Law Enforcement agencies, as well.

Some "victims" even manage to get money from the would be scammers. :cool:
    Check the links in RED from July 2004, Aug 2003, Aug 2002 and Nov 2002, for example.

For laughs, check out any of the links. I love Lady Agatha Bristol (UK readers will appreciate the Bristols bit), CBE, of the Foreign Office.

http://www.scamorama.com/agatha_caru_khan.html

Bazza
    ===

11. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

hmmmmmmm......................I can't get the links to save in my bookmarks. Running Firefox. Anyone else having trouble?

Thanks
    Gal

12. bigbazza

Can't help you there. I use AOL / IE. For another lady Agatha laugh link, check out

http://www.scamorama.com/agatha_saka.html Baz

===

13. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Well, I switched over to IE and got them to save in the bookmarks. Now I have to figure out how to get them in firefox.....

Thanks for the links.

Gal

14. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Firefox and the spoofstick extension work well to expose this type of phishing.

Bazza, why do you use AOL?

15. bigbazza

AOL? Well it is a long story dating back to 1992-1994. Over that period I worked in West Africa, in Sierra Leone, while there was a civil war going on. (From 1991 to 2001). I left in 1994 to return to OZ. On the way out I met a lady that I have kept in contact with. 12 months later, Jan 1995, rebels went through the 2 mines, 1 where I worked and 1 nearby, and kidnapped some people I knew and kept them hostages for 3 months. Both mines were immediately shut down by their Interrnational owners and the economy of SL went to hell. Exchange rate slumped from 500 to 1 USD, to over 2500 to 1 USD, for example.

The war raged for 10 years and I always hoped to get back when peace eventually happened. During the period from 1994 I kept up to date on SL news via the Net. I joined AOL (Australia On Line, division of America On Line), way back then, as there were few choices in Australia at that time. Prime reason was AOL was a worldwide available ISP and I thought I would have no problems accessing it when I finally got back to SL.

Peace was eventually signed in 2001, but the mine where I worked has only just been re-opened in April/May 2005. I am still hoping to get back there, as my ex-boss there, and long time friend, has just returned to assist in the re-opening.

Long story continues, and I kept AOL going. Now there are lots of alternatives, even some in SL. Unfortunately AOL has a lot of proprietary stuff, unknown to me at the time, and it is easier to keep using it than dump it. But dump it I will. I've been putting off broadband for the same reason as I did not want to sign up for a 2 year contact and then move back to Africa. My ex-boss is back in Cairns next month, so I will push further to go back to SL and then I will have to make various decisions. Bazza

===

16. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Have a look at this site for a chuckle or two: Scambaiting

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds