Trying to watch videos but they only buffer??

Discussion in 'Software' started by enimrac1206, Sep 30, 2010.

1. enimrac1206

enimrac1206 Private E-2

I have recently begun having problems when I try to watch videos on YouTube or attempt to stream football games that aren't shown locally. They will start, buffer, start, buffer, etc.... I just recently had this start happening. I don't think it's due to a virus or malware b/c I have gone through the malware removal forum and completed each task. I have an HP Pavilion dv5 notebook with an AMD Turion x2 dual core mobile RM-72 processor. My cpu has 4 gb of RAM and is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition service pack 2. Suggestions??? Thanks.

2. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, enimrac1206 :wave what kind of connection do you have? If you are on a dial up connection, that is normal. If, however, you are on a hi-speed connection, I don't think that is normal to do that.

I have seen those same symptoms on dial up connections, is why I am asking. ;)

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I have a 6MB cable system with 4GB of RAM and I still get that on some sites.
    I just try to locate another site that has it.
    Might not do it the next time I visit.

4. enimrac1206

enimrac1206 Private E-2

I have a high speed connection. It's not just videos constantly buffering. Some websites take a lot longer to load, especially if they have pics on them. This is all recent, like within the last couple weeks. I haven't done anything differently. My wife did have google chrome installed until today. I felt we only needed one web browser installed. My desktop seems to be working just fine...could it be my router causing the slow down? Could have had a power surge that is now affecting it? I'm just grasping at straws....really irritating because my kids like to watch videos on YouTube and now they cannot.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Easy way to test if it is the router...hook one computer directly to the cable modem bypassing the router completely for the time being and try streaming. If you get the hiccups/buffering, start asking your ISP what is going on.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Disable your Firewall and Antivirus software to test the streaming media site, and see if its the same or better?

7. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

And, if the aforementioned suggestions don't help, check your Processes and Startup lists - something may be trying to 'phone home', sucking up your bandwidth and/or resources.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Good thought and this app in Process Explorer will help with that advice from Caliban in seeing if an applicaiton is using alot of CPU time up, if you wish to see if an app is using alot of bandwidth try this app in NetLimiter as its good for listing apps that use most bandwidth.

May help narrow any potential issues down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds