Dell Dimension 9150 won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by anjaan79, May 11, 2009.

1. anjaan79

anjaan79 Private E-2

I keep getting Windows was not shutdown propertly message and it asks me to boot into safe modes or normal mode. Choosing any of those options brings me back to the same screen. So basically it's looping at that screen.

I have an image of the drive taken using Acronis software so I loaded the Acronis bootable CD and successfully restored the disk using the image. Aftrer rebooting the PC, the issue continues...brings me back to the same normal/safe mode screen and keeps looping.

So I used the Dell restore parition to reinstall the OS/Desktop to factory settings which completed successfully. However, the issue continues...keeps looping in that normal/safe mode.

Anyone seen this issue before? Any suggestions?

Thank you

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Right when you power up and right after the Dell logo screen goes away, starting pressing F8 to bring up the Windows Boot Options menu. Select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and boot up. This should stop the PC on the error that is causing the system to reboot. I think the PC has been crashing to a Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) but it's flashing by too quickly to see it. Once the PC stops on the error screen, write down the error code (they look like 0x000000ED for example) and usually have an error message (like IRQL_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL for example) and sometimes have a file name listed also (like "win32k.sys" for example). Post this information and we'll see what we can do. It may also be a good idea to run some diagnostics on both the hard drive and memory. A hard drive diagnostic can be downloaded from the hard drive maker's web site for free. Personally, I use this program for testing memory. The download will create a boot floppy or ISO image file that you'd burn to CD. Then boot to the disc you created, and once the tests start, press "T" for the extended tests. Run at least 2-3 passes. If the hard drive and memory both pass 100%, then we'll have to look elsewhere.

3. anjaan79

anjaan79 Private E-2

Selected "Disable automatic restart on system failure" but I keep getting safe modes / normal mode options and choosing any one of those brings me back to the choices again.

I tried to reinstall the OS using XP CD and here is the error I get after few minutes (after the setup loads drivers etc):

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

"STOP: 0x00000050 (0xBF3D5FFC, 0x00000000, 0x80553AD3, 0x00000002)"

I will post memory results soon. I don't which hard disk maker made the drives for 9150 so I will post that later after searching on the Internet.

4. anjaan79

anjaan79 Private E-2

Some more stuff I did after my last post:

1. Ran Dell's Hard Drive Diagnostics option (via F12).
    RESULT: Drive 0: ST380819AS - PASS

2. Downloaded the memory utility you mentioned and burned the ISO to CD.
    RESULT: My desktop doesn't boot using that CD. It boots fine with other bootable CDs.

3. Went to "Boot to Utility Partition" option and ran Express hardware tests.

RESULT: Received the following error

Error Code 2F00:0B1C
    Msg: Memory data data bus stress test failure"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds