how hard would it be to upgrade notebook memory.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by a-rob, Jul 15, 2004.

1. a-rob

a-rob Private E-2

i currently have access to/may soon own a generic notebook with a P3 930 MHz processor, 120 MB of RAM, 10 gig HD, and a Microsoft MN-120 Notebook Adapter.

i know a considerable amount about desktop PCs and their internals, but when it comes to laptops i am clueless as to how one would go about upgrading the memory and things like that.

so my question is if/when i get a wireless adapter for this notebook to use around campus is it feasible to add more memory to this laptop, and if it is would it be hard for me to do or would it just be an hour or two of work? also, this laptop is currently running on Windows XP so i was hoping to add as much memory as possible.

thanks in advance.

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Upgrading notebook RAM is extremely difficult and more expensive then PC RAM. I would not recommend doing it yourself and unless you have some good knowledge as to what you are doing. If I were you I would go to a shop to have more ram put into it, even though it will cost a lot. I would rather be salf than sorry.

3. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Are there no hatch panels on the bottom of the laptop to indicate access to a memory slot, HD, etc? It's possible one of them conceals an empty SODIMM slot. Having a P3 processor, to me, suggests this might be the case. Are there any indications whatsoever of a manufacturer that might be tracked down on the web for a spec sheet? My experience under such circumstances with a name brand laptop was that it wasn't too difficult.

4. mdowns

mdowns Private First Class

Hey a-rob!

I upgraded the RAM on my notebook with no problem. You should check the bottom of the computer, as TheDoug suggests. There should be a panel where you can get at the RAM.

It shouldn't be too difficult. And, given your stated knowledge of desktops, I'm sure you've already thought about getting some sort of system info proggy, like Everest or Aida32, to figure out your laptop's system specs and such...

Hope this helps.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Generally speaking, adding RAM to modern laptops is a piece of cake. Even easier than adding RAM to a desktop. On the bottom of most laptops, There's a removable plate (usually screwed on). Inside you can access the expansion RAM slots for the SO-DIMMs (and sometimes you can get to all the slots). However, I've known more than a few people to buy RAM and open the plate only to find all the slots already full! So check the laptop before buying anything.

Devices such as wireless adapters are most often PC Cards. Installing them is about a difficult as sticking a cartridge into a GameBoy. Some PC Card devices are a lot more expensive, however. Adding internal devices is next to impossible. Upgrading the primary HDD involves taking the keyboard off. You should be able to get external USB/FireWire floppies, CD/DVD burners and HDD, however.

6. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

7. Snuffles

Snuffles Private First Class

Also, if there isn't a slot on the bottom it could very well work like the Apple laptops. In those you have to remove the keyboard and the memory slots are right underneath where the wi-fi card would screw in underneath a plate. Just don't lose any screws into the computer like I did. Every once in a while I hear what sounds like a screw rattling around in there. ^_^

8. a-rob

a-rob Private E-2

ok, i have a little plate on the bottom that i can take off and put new RAM in, but here's the real problem i just realized the battery on this notebook is a piece of shit. it's been fried i guess. it's a long and narrow battery that is inserted in the front of the notebook i don't have the notebook with me to get the specs but i was wondering how much that would cost me. tomorrow i'll get the specs. as for the HD i'm not going to upgrade it. that would be to much money and i'm going to get the wireless adapter too. but i really don't want to spend more than a $100 on this thing because my PC is much more important to me.

thanks for all of your advice.

oh yea right now it only has 128 MB of PC-133 RAM so i'm either going to get another 128 MB stick to put in the other slot or two 256 MB sticks. either way i'm trying to find a good deal if anyone knows of one.

9. acejones

acejones A Different Title

you couldn't be more wrong. da chicken couldn't be more right.

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Not! True!

I just added memory to my Dell laptop.
    It took all of 30 seconds, on bottom of laptop, open door/access pannel, snap in another mem chip, close door.
    All done! ( I didnt time myself may have only took only 20 seconds)

And thanks to Kman, 128mb stick for $10.oo :
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35059

Most laptop/PC manufactures have instructions in manuals or offer info at thier web sites.

Prices of memory vary for laptop and Desktops, one isnt necessarily more expensive than the other.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds