IE 6 History

Discussion in 'Software' started by jim1111, Oct 1, 2005.

1. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Can anyone help me find a way to delete only some of the drop-down URL's in IE 6? I want to delete only selected web sites. I know I can delete the history selectively, but not the drop down list. I can't find it anywhere.

2. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Go to my computer, do ctrl+h . On the left side your history will show up, right click and select delete to stuff you want to get rid off. I think that works.

3. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Thanks for that Tourangh, it was a history I didn't know about. It still doesn't stop the previous sites appearing in the drop down list though. I'm talking about the address bar of IE6. Any further ideas?

4. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Try Internet Options, Content, and under Personal Information click on Auto Complete. You can uncheck the box that says Use Auto Complete for Web Addresses, and also under Clear Auto Complete History you can clear history and passwords as well.
    Hope this helps.
    Eric

5. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Thanks for that, but still no joy. I know I can delete all of the history from the drop down box, but not selectively delete entries. Any other ideas?

6. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Nope. In fact one address doesn't appear in the control panel history but does appear in the drop-down. I'm using XP SP2 and IE6. Any other ideas anybody? Help?

7. eclayton

Just curious, is there a reason you can't just delete all the entries and leave it at that? Is there some reason you can't just "start fresh"?
    I'm thinking there's not really a way to selectively delete the autocomplete history, but of course I could be wrong. Anyway, I think your best bet is to clear it all and just start over.
    Eric

8. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Yeh, was trying to hide some things (?) from the family without making it obvious. Say no more.......... ;) Is there really no way to do this?

9. eclayton

Nope. May be time to come clean! ;) :) Been there, done that, it feels good to confess! :)
    Take care,
    Eric

10. jim1111

jim1111 Private E-2

Thanks Kaula. Already done that once, probably too much to do it again. Just downloaded netscape browser, removed it from the menu & I"ll start it by going through explorer & finding the exe file. Hopefully they wont find that. Strange how there's no way to selectively delete the drop-down though. Thanks to everybody who responded. :rolleyes:

11. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

If you have xp you could make seperate acounts. Or you could use firefox or opera instead.

12. peterparker

peterparker Corporal

Here is where the data is stored in the registry.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

Take all precautions and back up your registry.

You will have to keep the same naming convention url1, url2, url3. Registrar will allow you to change the value name.
    http://majorgeeks.com/Registrar_Lite_d469.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds