Graphics Card Problem (or maybe RAM?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hy565, May 5, 2007.

1. hy565

hy565 Private E-2

Hi.

I've had this problem for some time now and I've forgotten how it came about.
    So here goes:

Everytime I boot my PC a few hours after it has been shut down, it loads fine at first...but..once the Windows XP finishes loading..the screen becomes black...and after a while the monitor either reports No Input or a distorted image appears on my screen.
    HOWEVER, the strange this is that, after like 15seconds, the system reboots itself and everything works fine. When I login, I will then get the message "The system has recovered from a serious error" and when I report error they will say it was a problem with my ATI graphics card driver.

However, I doubt this as I have tried changing my graphics card from ATI Radeon 9500/9700 to ATI Radeon 9800 and the same problem occurs.

My system has no problem and is working fine except for the fact that it has to be booted twice everytime I turn on my computer.

Anyone knows how I can fix this?

I am using:

Pentium 4 2.40GHz Processor
    1 GB Ram
    Maxtor 40GB HD
    ATI Radeon 9800 128MB

Help appreciated. Thanks ;)

[p.s. another problem I have is that, I have this USB 2.0 Card Reader/Writer with 3-Port Hub, which is basically a device that expands 1 USB to 3. However, if I boot my com with it plugged in, and some other devices plugged into it, my startup will get stuck in a black screen right after the Windows XP loading screen. Once I plug out my card reader thing it continues to the logon screen. Anyone knows what's going on?]

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

The USB problem is pretty common; I've seen many PC's have startup problems with USB hubs (and especially external USB storage devices like flash drives, camera 'film' sticks, hard drives, etc). I don't really have a fix for that except to not plug it in until Windows is done loading. As for the other problem: visit your motherboard maker's web site and look for a new BIOS update and new chipset software and install the chipset software FIRST (unless the BIOS flashing instructions say otherwise). Then follow the BIOS flashing directions VERY carefully and update the BIOS. Several motherboards (ASRock for example) have compatability issues with some ATI cards and a BIOS update fixes the problem 90% of the time.

hd2k

PS- I assume no responsibility if you mess up your PC with a bad BIOS flash. Like I always say: flash at your own risk!!! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds