Help: Computer freezing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HeadShotL2, Sep 6, 2007.

1. HeadShotL2

HeadShotL2 Private E-2

Hey there, I just bought a brand new pc and it's randomly freezing badly. I've had it go for 3 days just fine other times it freezes every 5 minutes or 30 minutes, it doesn't matter weather it is stressed or idle over night, browsing the internet or playing a game.

Specs of the pc are:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3ghz processor
    ASUS Socket 775 P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI motherboard
    Corsair 2g 1024x2 DDR2800 PC6400 RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 768 mb Video Card

I have the case opened, an 80mm case fan blowing inside, and another large fan in my room blowing in to cool it off, temperatures on the mobo/cpu/hd never get above 40, the video card runs hot at about 63 stressed (which I've heard is low for the card). I'm pretty sure it's not over heating.
    I have completely formatted 3 times with a fresh copy of Windows XP Pro SP2 32-bit and tried the newest drivers over and over. I have tried previous drivers for the video and sound card that friends have said worked for them, and got nothing still freezes.

I have run 1 stick of RAM at a time in each of the 4 slots for over a day, kept switched and it still froze. I have run memtest on each stick seperate and both together and it comes up with 0 errors. I have the memory timings set for 5-5-5-12-2 as it shows on the sticks themselves and the corsair website to do. Once however the computer did do a physical memory dump and BSOD'd don't know what that was about but I'm assuming related.

I have defragged, done a disk clean up, run stress tests and everything comes up as working fine. My bios and chipset and nforce are all updated and I can't fix it. There are no windows messages that pop up after I have to hard reboot the computer. The event log shows no messages of problems either. I'm all fresh out of ideas if you guys could come up with any I'd be very happy.
    Thanks, Michael

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

what kind of power supply do you have and what are the specs on the 12 volt rail?

3. HeadShotL2

HeadShotL2 Private E-2

I have an APEX SL-8600EPS 600W (sli ready) power supply. How would I check the specs on the 12 volt rail?

4. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

will be listed on the side of the psu
    EDIT never mind I found it 22 amps on 12v1 and 12v2 44 amps total. That should have enough to power the system in theory. Make sure both power dongles are plugged into the video card (believe those have 2 x 6 or 8 pin) and check voltages with a hardware monitor(usually comes with the board driver disk)or with a multi meter to make sure voltages are stable

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds