SET password for ONE drive/partition HDD

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Aug 26, 2015.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Greetings,

Sure is a lot of info on how to remove PWs. I want to SET one on one of my partitions...actually a discrete HD with its very own drive letter!

It dos not need to be elaborate or super secure. Just something really simple, and free.

TIA

~drcarl

2. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Joris - thanks. I'll check those out, yet I believe TrueCrypt faded into oblivion last year...at least so they say on the interwebs...regardless, I'll check out the first two AND keep my ears open for any other replies! Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Any open source or free apps?

Disk Password Protection - Single User $50

Secret Disk PRO - $15

If this is such a difficult process, PW protecting ONE drive, maybe it IS worth the $15

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It all depends on how secure you want this drive to be. If a simple password, easily bypassed by anyone with a bit of PC knowhow, would be sufficient then perhaps the commercial solutions you have found would be good enough. I haven't used them myself so can't comment on them.

The usual way of protecting info stored on a disk is by encrypting it, but the formerly highly popular TrueCrypt is no longer an option, as you have said. But if this is the level of protection you want then maybe other forum members will be able to make suggestions.

Either way I would recommend having a read of this thread

5. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Earthling - thanks! I'll give the link a read....what I am looking for is really low-level stuff....not high security based...just something that makes it less than easy to enter...like locking a door (and not a Ft Knox door) - like locking the bathroom door....thank you for your reply...Carl

6. Earthling

Might this do, or is it too much of a palaver? Go into Disk Management and simply remove the drive letter. The drive will disappear from My Computer and will be inaccessible. To access the drive again then in Disk Management reassign the previous drive letter.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not for a partition but for files or folders, you right click, zip it and add a password. It can't be opened unless the password is known.

8. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Intresting....I could move everything on the drive (200 GB) into a folder...

9. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

This is interesting, too...might be perfect...thanks!
    (I'm surprised a whole drive could go without a letter)

;)

10. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

Have a look at VeraCrypt, a fork of the discontinued TrueCrypt project.

11. Earthling

If only the one partition it works. If multiple partitions, and you want all made inaccessible, you would have to do it for each one. Only takes a few seconds, looks good to me.

12. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

Nice! Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds