Intrusive Facebook

Discussion in 'Software' started by ironman6626, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Hello All,
    If I am in the wrong category I apologize in advance. A couple of months back I wrote an email to the technical support of one of my email providers and I basically accused them of sharing my information. They responded very quickly and said they absolutely do nothing of the kind. Facebook continues to make friend suggestions and there is no way they could come up with any suggestions unless No. 1 they did in fact get my contacts list from the email provider or No. 2 they've been snooping where they don't belong. A little more info. I don't use my real name and and have about 8 people in the friends list. I use facebook only to search for people I've lost touch with. Could someone here please explain to me what they believe is going on? We all know this traitor Zuckerburg has been (and still does) pass info off to the NSA. Thank you in advance.

2. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

As far as I know, everyone gets Friend suggestions.
    Based on what I've seen, they are based on your existing friends and their friends, as well as your own Facebook activity.
    Sometimes they appear to be just random.

Facebook Help Center: People You May Know
    =

3. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

I appreciate your reply. However there is zero chance Facebook could have known about the last friend suggestion. AND I DO MEAN ZERO! The only thing that comes to my mind is a program written to slide under the radar to glean info.

4. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

When I use email (and still are logged into facebook) Facebook will suggest things to me relevant to what I've been typing in email.... I suggest you do not have email open at the same time as using facebook.

5. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Yes, Facebook as well as Google and many other websites spy on you, no surprise there. As Kestrel said log out of Facebook. Also close your browser and then clear your cookies every time before you go to another site or log in to a site if you are concerned. I use the free version of CCleaner for this because it is easy and works.

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

If this social networking site can do it, then Facebook can.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twoo

7. ironman6626

ironman6626 Private E-2

Thanks to all for not only info but also the good advice. I did some more searching on this subject and it was suggested to have a different designated browser solely for Facebook. This same little article also mentioned the clearing of cookies. Makes sense.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds