Wireless internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richp, May 22, 2004.

1. richp

richp Private E-2

I know this is probably an old question but what would it take for me to go online without hooking my phone line to my laptop?

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

first, you need a wireless card in your notebook. If it is an intel centrino notebook, it already has one. Even if it isn't a centrino, it may still have one. Check to see if it does. If it doesn't, get a PCICIA wireless card. Next, you'll need a router. Routers aren't too highly priced, an accellerated 802.11g D-Link is only 99 bucks. Find one that matches the protocol used for the pcicma or internal wireless card in your notebook. Next, find a good FAQ or instructions for setting up the router and connecting to it, and connecting the internet to it.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Do you have DialUp or DSL?

:rolleyes:

4. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

yeah, i think flea jumped in a bit early, but he did a good job. the only thing i would disagree with him on is that you dont have to spend 100 bucks on a wireless router, you can go with an 802.11b router, which works just fine for the normal home user, for about half the price

5. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I was using the price of the G router as a figure. G is probably closer to the most expensive. I don't run on G, and as DTG said, B would probably work best for the average home user.

6. richp

richp Private E-2

Dial up. How do i tell if I have wireless card? ( Dell Inspiron 3800) Thanks.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

If you have only one computer (the Laptop) you need to buy a Wireless Cable/DSL Router with a serial port, and an external DialUp Modem, and you need a Wireless Client Card in you Laptop.

Option 3 in following link describes the general idea.

Link to: Sharing the Internet with DialUp Connection.

P.S. Be careful it is going to be a costly endeavor.

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds