PC Shuts Down When A Game Loads Up

Discussion in 'Software' started by CraigStewart1992, Mar 2, 2012.

1. CraigStewart1992

CraigStewart1992 Private E-2

Hi, I have built my own custom PC for gaming and future upgrades. The issue that I am having is when I play any game like LOTRO, Star Wars, League Of Legends, Minecraft etc... my PC shuts down into a kind of safety mode. By safety mode I mean that the PC turns of and will not let me switch it back on until I unplug it from the mains.

I know that temperatures have nothing to do with it. Also I have tested 2 different kinds of GPu's and still the same issue. I even tested the same type of GPU as the one I claimed faulty which obeisantly was not. I have another graphics card that I tested which does not need the PCI-E cables and it runs well with games but I have poor graphics in games because it is old.

Computer Specifications:
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    Antec HCP-750 GB High Current Pro Series 750W Power Supply Unit with nVIDIA SLI-Ready and ATI CrossFireX Certified
    AMD Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
    x2 - Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 RAM
    1st GPU I used - ASUS GTX 560 Ti DirectCU II 2nd GPU I used - VTX3D 1GB Radeon HD 6950 PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Card
    x2 - Sony DVD Drives
    HDD - Hitachi 1TB
    Corsair Cooling Unit

I have all the latest drivers and have tried old one just to be sure and still the problem occurs. I also checked the BIOS for anything that may be conflicting and nothing made a difference.

One other thing the power supply has been tested for any issues and nothing turned up.

Any help or ideas would be great.

2. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

This is a bit of a brain bender.
    Does this ONLY happen when you game?
    Is there any pattern with the crash between games? , meaning does it always crash when you click "Play"? or does it crash in the menu or when paused etc etc.

What version of Windows are you using?

I'm also assuming from the way you speak that this system is pretty new?

Have you made sure all cable are correctly installed and plugged into the correct places?

Are you 100% sure all the cables are in working order?

Have you double checked the Ram is in correct slots?

You mention your temps are fine, could you give us some numbers and how you tested the temp.

I realise this is a lot of questions but the more info we can get, the more chance we have of narrowing it down.

At this point to be perfectly honest I'm pretty much guessing and thinking of possibilities.

I almost want to think it's a software issue, but you say it goes into a "sort of safe mode" which would suggest more hardware issues.
    And since I get the impression you have just built it I can't help but think something either isn't set up correctly or maybe you got a bad piece of hardware, like the PCIE slot on your mobo tweaking.
    It's the "safe mode" you speak of which is really throwing me off because I've seen similar and it's usually been because of either faulty or incorrectly set up hardware.

But rest assured you are in the best place, the guys here collectively know pretty much everything about computers and are undoubtedly the the most helpful on the net.

Welcome to MG's :)

3. CraigStewart1992

Yes it i :L. It crashes when I get to a menu of a game or sometimes when I get into the game but I only get a minute and its a repeated pattern with any game.

I am using Windows 7.

Yes it is a new system. Everything is connected the way it should be nothing out of place. The cables are working fine and are ll brand knew.

The RAM is in the correct slots. I have also read the MB Manual just incase there is anything I am missing or have done wrong. Everything is done correctly.

I have used CPUID HWMonitor to see temps and voltages. I have added a screenshot. Sorry if it is not visible enough.

I also tried to use Furmark and my PC shuts down after 5-10 minutes and sometimes instantly when I click "Start Test" on Furmark.

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Attached Files:

4. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

7 comes with DirectX 11 out of the box. It's supposed to be backwards compatible to 10 and 9 but, as usual when it comes to PC gaming, Microsoft messed up and it actually isn't. :p Install Dx10 and Dx9 and see if that makes a difference, surprisingly often it does, especially on games that have been around for a while, and on games that came out before 7 did.

5. CraigStewart1992

The first thing I done was install DirectX11 before I started playing games which installs DirectX10 and 9. My LOTRO game confirms that and I have tried to play my games running 11, 10 and 9 still the same issue.

I am also playing new games that have been released as well.

6. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

I think what Mimsy is saying which is a good point is to physically download and install DX 9 and 10 individually.

7. CraigStewart1992

I have just tried that and no change. :( I would love to think that it is a software fault but I have re-installed everything severe times including windows 7. Also I have another ATI Graphics Card which does not need the PCI-E cables plugged in to work and the computer runs with no problems. I can play games and my PC does not shut down the only thing is that this graphics card is not powerful enough for most new games.

I am beginning to think that it is a power pack fault.

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

9. CraigStewart1992

Thank you Rikky for the programs. The first program was set to Maximum stress and number of times to 10. My computer did not turn of. The second program will not let me mount/burn. I am using PowerISO and also tried After Burner still did not work. It is definitely not the CPU I have used a stress test before on that and it just slowed my PC down :L

10. Rikky

My apologies Craig I linked the wrong version,here's the windows version.

http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html

You may need to run two or three instances of it within windows to test all your memory,so to test 6gb of your 8gb,set amount to test to 2000mb and run three of them side by side.

It's not as good as running the iso version as it will test all of the memory but it should point out any memory instability problems.

If it tests 6gb and there aren't any errors you can be 90% sure your ram is stable.

If it passes this test,that only leaves motherboard and power supply as the video card is pretty much ruled out.

11. Rikky

BTW if your computer does this again don't unplug it,press and hold the power button until it shuts down, its kinder than an unplug.

12. CraigStewart1992

There are 0 errors to report. I am not sure what you mean by turn it of by the button? I have no choice in the matter. I load a game and it may or may not play for not even a minute and BAM! my PC turns of. After it has switched of I can not turn it back on until I make sure there is no power what so ever getting to the PC. That's why it needs to be unplugged or I can use the switch on the PCU.

13. Rikky

Sorry it was late when I posted that.

There are two other major ways it can can enter this state after everything else has been eliminated,either the motherboard is telling the power supply it's power is bad and turning it off or the power supply is shutting down because it can't supply enough current.

Well I would try a different power supply if you have one.How to test without using another PSU?

This method is a little dodgy but-

Run it until it crashes and turns off with the power still connected pull out the main motherboard connector in one quick motion,be firm and sure,you can leave everything else connected if you wish.

Take a paper clip and bend it into a U shape,with the mobo connector in hand put one end of the paper clip in the hole with a green wire "this is the wire that the motherboard uses to tell the psu to turn on." and the other end of the paper clip in ANY black wire "ground"

The psu should fire into life,if it doesn't you can can be 90% sure it entered over current protection mode and is faulty,you can't artificially test for this unlike voltage without putting it in another computer with equal or better components and stressing it.

14. Mansoorkasmi

Mansoorkasmi Private E-2

Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. And I just registered here after reading this thread. I am facing a similar problem like Craigstewart. I am also monitoring my CPU and gpu temperatures using hw monitor tool and I haven't found any problem with temperatures the temperatures are normal. The problem here is that as soon as I load a game my system goes into safety mode or should I say shutdown, without any error message. Also I used intel burn test to test my CPU And it performed good. But as soon as I ran furmark, my system shutdown . The test didn't even started. I tried this two times and same thing happened.

I did read about a similar issue on other forum and the problem was with psu but I am not sure that it is psu.

My system config is

Motherboard - ASUS M4A88TD EVO
    CPU - AMD PHENOM X4 965 black edition 3.4ghz
    Ram - 4gb kingston
    Gpu - Evga gtx 560ti ( crysis maximum graphics edition)
    Psu - 500w

I have completed crysis 2 on the above mentioned configuration, without any problems
    But now dirt3 , assassians creed and even crysis 2 is causing problems.

15. Rikky

You need to start a new thread,welcome to the forum:) I would say its your psu also 500w is pretty weak for your hardware it will easily draw 250W under full load and especially if its a non branded generic with less than 30amps on the 12v rail.Run a game or benchmark and feel the side of your psu with your hand,does it get hot to warm?If so get a better one,600w branded and above.

Please don't reply in this thread:cool

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds