Graphics Card Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gorligan, Jun 17, 2005.

1. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

I think this is a graphics card issue but I'm not 100% positive. I have a geforce 256MB 6600GT and when I'm playing the latest games at full spec the system just crashes. It doesn't reboot or shut down. It just kinda goes into standby. The light on the monitor goes from green to orange so its as if there's no power received. The temperature on the graphics card is getting as high as 95 degrees celcius. Any ideas what it could be?

System spec is:
    3.0Ghz Pentium 4
    1GB Ram
    geforce 256MB 6600GT

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

What brand/model power supply do you have?

3. Olley

Olley Sergeant

"The temperature on the graphics card is getting as high as 95 degrees celcius"---- that is way too hot!!

if the temp readings are correct then that is definetly your problem. what u need to do is check if the fan on the g-card is running and/or if the heatsink is seated correctly.
    u will also have to have some decent airflow in your case. at least one fan in the front bottom sucking air in and another in the back top blowing it out. that should cool down ur case temp if its is too hot.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

95C?! threshold for meltdown is about 100-120c; sounds like you need to apply some thermal paste to the core.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Make sure you're detecting temps straight from the BIOS, or that your detecting software is set correctly. MBM5 was detecting all of mine at 32 for a while, until I was able to find the correct setting for my Mobo.

6. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

bios doesnt pull gpu temps

7. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

*blinks* I should have known that. In anycase, one has to be sure the temp detecting software is right for the card. Sometimes software for a piece will also work for another, but the difference is slight enough all but one piece works fine.

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

IMO temp reporting has become more efficient with support from the MFG and their drivers, also using Everest in conjunction with nvidia/ati driver sets they have no problem reporting correct temps at all. There WAS a bug in the NV driver release (2 releases ago) that reported temps 20% higher then what they were, but thats minimal.

9. McGhee

McGhee Private E-2

I am having a similar problem with my system shutting down after playing a game for about five minutes. I am positive it is from overheating because once I removed the side cover the problem went away. I am not sure how to mess with the temp settings and all that to fix this problem any other way.

10. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Is it the GPU over heating, or the Processor? MBM5 is the program to use to check. If it's the processor, make sure you're fan is blowing and try firing up a shop vac, and vacuuming out the inside of the case. One would be surprised by the temp loss that simply vacuuming will achieve. You do want to be careful, but there shouldn't be anything that will just get sucked out.

11. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

Sorry for the late reply! So 95 degrees is too hot? Ok. There is a fan on the graphics card, but you're telling me I should have another? It's a brand new card. When I opened the side of the case it feels very warm in there.

12. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Were saying that maybe the heatsink/fan on that card is loose or improperly installed; be sure you have the latest video card drivers to report accurate temperatures.

13. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

I definately have the latest drivers. I got them straight away. If it is loose, how can I mend it??

14. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Shut down the computer, remove the card, and lay it on a flat, static free surface, such as the box it came in or cardboard. Hold it in place with one hand, and gently push at the heatsink/fan, and see if there's any give. If there is in the heat sink, but not the fan, I don't know. If it's the fan, and it's attached with screws, tighten them carefully. If not, wait for further advice.

Oh, and don't forget to let the card cool before attempting to remove it. It's difficult to type with bandaged fingers.

15. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

Yeah I tried doing that. No luck unfortunately! Anyone other ideas? I'll give ya a euro if you get it right!

16. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Is that like a nickle in american? [​IMG]

17. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

About a dollar or just over!!!! Ok! 2 euros if you fix it! :)

18. Shallow_Grave

Shallow_Grave Private E-2

I have a similar issue with my ASUS 256 6800GT - a couple of times it has really gone crazy once it was over 100 degrees. But I often find that the memory is at 75 or so after coming out of a game. I am using the Smart Doctor program and the enhanced driver. But at what temperature should performance be affected or could damage be done?

19. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Grab up a desk fan, open the case side, and start it blowing through the case. That should drop your temp a few degrees.

20. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

NEVER,use a vac on the inside of your pc,the nozzle on a vac is like a little static powerstation,use canned air and scoop any dust from the bottom of your case with a damp rag.

BTW.Did you know that dust is skin lol :D

21. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

Just to follow up, I have gotten a new 500W power supply (old one was 350W) and have installed it. Games still seem to bring up the temperature. I've noticed in the settings it says that the "Core Slowdown Threshold" is 145 degrees celcius!! So maybe my card is expected to go as high as 100? Is this possible? Maybe it was just my power supply that was making my computer restart all along?

22. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

Anyone got any more ideas? It's just that my computer is on its side waiting for someone whos knows what they're doing to help me!

23. scoobysix

scoobysix Private E-2

I reckon the problem is probably improper mounting of the GPU heatsink, improper application of (or missing) thermal compound, extremely poor case ventilation or a problem with the card itself.

95ºC really does seem too high to be software-related. My GPU temperature never goes above 35ºC (thermistor on side of GPU waterblock) while playing Half Life 2 or Act of War @ 1280x1024 (everything on highest except AA & Vsync off).

Try and borrow a similar graphics card and test it on your rig, see if you still get the same problems. Or chuck your graphics card on another rig, you get the idea.

24. russian master

russian master Private First Class

I have the same problem with my x600 xt video card--complete shutdown after a certain period of gaming...however, mine is not due to overheating...95 degress is waaay too hot...you sure its not farenheit? Mine peaks at 40.8C. I called the manufacturer of the card, and they said it was defective, am getting replacement tomorrow. Hope that helps my problems...as for you, when your computer locks up, take off the side and see if you can touch the video card without burning yourself...if it is not too hot to be touched, then its not an overheating problem, and you may want to look into getting a different video card/replacement.

25. gorligan

gorligan Private E-2

I have sent the card back to the company. Hopefully I will get a new one soon!!!

Thanks to everyone for your help with this ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds