IE8 Shortcut Failure

Discussion in 'Software' started by mamaterri, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mamaterri

mamaterri Private E-2

I have two new computers with Windows 7 OS and IE8. For the first few days, there was no problem, but beginning yesterday, desktop shortcuts to websites stopped working properly.

If I click any desktop shortcut to an Internet site, IE8 will open, but it will not navagate to the web site. IE opens, but there is nothing in the address bar and there is nothing in the body of the window. The tab just says "connecting" (but it never does, no matter how long I wait).

If I take the same shortcut, open the properties, copy the URL, open IE8 and paste the URL into the address bar, it will navigate to the web site as it should.

If I use an IE favorites shortcut, it will navagate to the website as it should.

But it will NOT navagate to a website from a desktop shortcut. Any ideas?

Terri

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Did you install any new software between the period of IE working ok to it not? if so what?

Did you install any toolbars etc? if so uninstall them,

If you start IE in its Safe No-Addons mode does it work ok? to access IE No-Addons, type into the Start Search box Internet Explorer and you should see the No Addons optin, if not then its in Programs > Accessories > System Tools

try resetting IE using Tools tab > Internet Options > restore Adanced Settings and Reset Internet Explorer settings, then Restart IE.

3. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I'm a little confused here. First you state that IE shortcuts don't work, then you say if you use an IE shortcut it does work???? :confused

4. DavidGP

Hi

Been racking my brain for a script of fixes that re-register a set of dlls for IE and can fix the URL opening issue, its from a fellow Microsoft MVP called Kai Schätzl HERE

5. mamaterri

mamaterri Private E-2

We isolated the problem to a software that had been installed. It was an older version of Word Viewer. When I uninstalled it, the shortcuts worked as they should have. When I reinstalled it, they stopped working.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

6. DavidGP

Hi Terri

No problems and cheers for the update and the cause.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds