RE: Linux kernel

Discussion in 'Software' started by Senex, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Senex

Senex Private E-2

When it comes to erasing/deleting items, is there any difference between 'modules' and 'statically-linked kernel code'? Also, any easy way to tell one from the other?

2. LordOlives

LordOlives Private First Class

I'm not exactly a Linux expert, but my understanding is you can customize and re-compile the modules into the kernel (faster) or you can load/unload modules dynamically (slower).

I know you can use lsmod to list loaded modules but I don't think this lists anything that was compiled into the kernel.

3. Senex

Senex Private E-2

So if I should run across any items that are compiled into the kernel that I absolutely cannot live with, how would I go about finding and erasing it?

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Senex, some kernel modules are loaded for the ease of the masses.
    What flavor of Linux do you have installed? (Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds