SO-DIMM to desktop DDR2?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speculant, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

Is this possible? I saw this item on a well known auction site that converts from a 200-pin SODIMM to a 240-pin DDR2 desktop RAM stick. It is from a Chinese distributor, so I'm a little sketched out as to whether it will work or not, or if what the item claims is even possible.

I'm asking because I have a few SODIMM sticks laying around, and some people I know could use some extra desktop RAM.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

You mean one of these? You have to make sure it's for the same type of RAM. That is, DDR2 to DDR2, for example. And you need to ensure the other electrical specs for the RAM is compatible with your motherboard and current RAM.

Note these are normally used in shops for testing notebook RAM with a desktop motherboard because it is easier (a lot more room). They are not normally used for permanent installations.

For the record, I have a whole drawer full of old RAM of all sorts - still perfectly good. I have another drawer full of CPUs and old graphics cards. A shelf full of CRT monitors. Want a floppy drive? ;)

If you could use some extra desktop RAM, buy some. It's cheap - even if you have to toss your existing RAM in a drawer with that notebook RAM. It is hard to find RAM that does NOT have a lifetime warranty - even the budget stuff. And BY FAR - the amount of RAM is much more important (in terms of over all performance, banging on the slow hard drive/Page File, and Window's happiness - OSes love big playgrounds!) than timings and other RAM specs (assuming compatibility).

I realize it is sad to see perfectly good (and expensive - originally) stuff laying around gathering dust, but that's of the costs of advancing technologies - the old ones get left behind.

Sometimes adding RAM involves totally replacing all your RAM. But depending on how much RAM you are starting from, upgrading RAM still provides the best bang for the money - in terms of overall performance gains.

Just remember, you need a 64-bit OS to take advantage of RAM over 4Gb.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds