NIC doesn't see TCP/IP stack

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, May 8, 2009.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

This all started when I was upgrading my video card to a 260 which didn't work, back to a 9800GT for now. I also had a corrupted BIOS so I upgraded that without any expectations as none of that change log applied to me, just to get a fresh flash. Oh, this was before I installed the 260

Since then, the onboard NIC on my ASUS P5Q-Pro wasn't seen anymore. I then installed a NIC card and it's only seen by XP with an error stating that it can't 'Query TCP/IP Stack' and neither Vista nor W7 can even see the NIC.

I did try the NIC in the last PCI slot but that didn't work or was seen at all by anything, I then moved it up one slot and now only XP sees it, I don't have any more PCI slots to try. I did eliminate the router by going directly to the modem and it recognizes the NIC card but not the onboard NIC.

Can anyone give me a hint of what to try next? Thanks.:)

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi augiedoggie,

Hmm, interesting ... I think I'd begin in the BIOS, remove the onboard NIC with Device Manager, reboot, enter the BIOS, reset to defaults and reboot. Test.

If that doesn't find and fix it, reboot to the BIOS again and double-check all settings related to onboard devices (perhaps disabling Serial, Firewire and Parallel?).

(at the back of my mind, I'm wondering about a PCI/mainboard problem affecting power supply, crap in the slots ...?)

Good luck.

3. augiedoggie

Thanks for the effort but nothing helped. I'm going to try a LiveCD now and see what happens. I'm out of ideas ATM.

4. augiedoggie

Well, seems you may have been right!!! After several moves of the NIC, it is now working properly. Jeez man, I must have rebooted 50 times trying different cables and BIOS configurations! :eek I'm still having issues with the onboard NIC but I think I'll leave well enough alone for now, I will not try the onboard until I first understand what happened, if I can.

One strange thing is that the NIC is now called #3 and the onboard isn't even seen yet as I uninstalled the drivers. Man, three days of :banghead!:cry At least I can get back to folding now.:)

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ok, glad you're up and running :)

I think Windoze sets a different ~ each time it picks up the same hardware with any different stats/locations/whatever - I've 1 PC with the only NIC at @ #7 now ...

How about you creating a backup image of your installation now - just in case?

Once you have done that and tested it, when you next get bored you can try the onboard again ^^ Take plenty of notes if you do - it will help us work out what's been happening there.

PS., is it working both in XP and Vista now?

Last edited: May 10, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds