Zone Alarm Update Nag Screen?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tomsmg, Feb 20, 2009.

1. tomsmg

tomsmg Private First Class

Helllo: I just started getting this, I am using Vista Home Premium with zone alarm and zone alarm is sending a pop up wanting to know if I want to update and if I say NO it keeps popping up so I clicked on Remind me in 60 days, but it still pops up all the time.
    How can I disable this pop up? No problem with using a registry hack if necessary, Thanks

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

I would check out services through Administrative Tools or by a start>run>"services.msc" without the quotes. Find the zone alarm update service, if there is one in the list of services, double click it and stop it, then set it to Manual if it is set to Automatic. Thereafter you will need to update ZA manually through the GUI. Have never used that particular program but this might do it. <insert rant here>rolleyes
    Bug

3. tomsmg

Bugballu:

I dont see it in there, Thanks

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Open Zone alarms
    Click "Overview" on the left panel
    Click the "Preferences" tab at the top right
    Check for product updates, check "Manual"
    You'll get a warning box telling you if you do not update you will be at risk from hackers etc
    Click "Yes"
    Done.

It's right there if you have one of the last 2 versions of zone alarms (aquired within the last 12 months)

6. tomsmg

Thank You both for the new suggestions and I will keep them handy in my tip collection, I am sure both of the suggestions would work, but I already found a utility called "AutoRuns" from sysinternal.com and it worked great. Thank You Guys again, Tom

7. tarmin8or

tarmin8or Private First Class

Just curious...Why would you not want to update your ZA virus definitions?

8. tomsmg

Who said I did not want to update, the nag screen would not go away no matter what and I like to update when I am not doing anything!!!

9. tarmin8or

Sorry!!! You didn't indicate you wanted the update, you selected "remind me", so that said to me you did not want to update, at least for now I guess...???
    Didn't mean to upset you....sorry!

10. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Yeah ZA does have a tnedancy to bug you when you least want it, as in my above post, you don't need any special progs to stop it, the options are right there in ZA itself.

11. tomsmg

Tarmin8or: I am not upset at all we are just talking things over, and I guess I did not make myself clear, was so upset with as Nedlamar mentioned the nag screen can be a pain in the butt when it wont go away. I also know how to take care of it from within Zone alarm itself now , Thanks to you Guys.

12. tarmin8or

I understand. I know what you mean. I have ZA and it is a bit touchy, but all-in-all, after learning how to adjust the settings to fit my system set-up, it runs pretty troublefree.
    I have had it get stuck in some strange loop that required me to re-install, but only on a couple of computers one or two times in the last 3 years i have been using it.
    It has saved my butt several times.
    I hope you get that problem figured out, you may have to re-install.

Also, I am running XP Pro SP-2 and not that new Vista stuff.

Take care...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds