Insufficient Memory on DOS

Discussion in 'Software' started by IRQIO, Mar 15, 2005.

1. IRQIO

IRQIO Private E-2

I use Microsoft Network Client for DOS, and whenever I had been using it for a while loading pics, etc, I go to the setup of the software to adjust some parameters such as TCP/IP settings suddently a window appears saying:

Unrecoverable error

There is insufficient memory,
    Returning to MS-DOS
    Press ENTER to continue.

How can I expand memory or something to fix it? by the way it's not real dos like 6.22 it's the DOS version of Windows 98se ¿7.0?

2. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

Do you run in pure DOS or just the box dos command ???

3. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Try this:

Go into the C:\Windows directory & find the "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS & XMS Support" icon. Double-clicking that will reboot your computer into a much better DOS mode than the regular 'reboot in MSDOS mode' or 'command prompt only' options in the shutdown/startup menus. It's much better at handling more memory intensive programs. You need to type 'exit' at the C prompt to reboot back into Windows. Let us know how it went.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

From a DOS prompt ( c:\ ), type in mem /c /p. Note the 2 spaces in the command. This will come back with details on the use of your memory allocation. Write down how much memory is being used in upper memory. The more stuff you can get into high memory, the more you free up the available memory below 640K. I use W98SE ( Dos 7.0)

Out of 640kb, I have 600kb available. Could probably force more into high mem if I had to.

What are your figures? Bazza

===

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Bump. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds