Windows Update Error

Discussion in 'Software' started by MikeF15334, Oct 23, 2008.

1. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

Getting error every time running windows update help! 0x80072EE2

I tried the recomended suggestion from microsoft site but hasnt helped any recomendations

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Can you post a link to that fix so we know what you have already tried. Thanks.

How far in to the download of updates does it get before the error appears?

What kind if internet connection do you have?

3. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

This what I have done
    1. Ran the following commands
    net stop wuauserv

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 MSXML3.dll
    regsvr32 qmgr.dll
    regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll

net start wuauserv

2. Tried looking in my virus software Norton internet security 2006 found nothing because all sites are basically allowed and I disabled the firewall temporarily
    3. Added the following websites as trusted sites.
    http://update.microsoft.com
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

4. Also looked at my host file seem fine to

4. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

Also download seems to go in circles, I have a dlink router mac enabled over cable modem connection

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Please remove the DLink router, and connect directly to the cable
    modem (you will need to reboot the cable modem to gain service).

Now try Windows Update/Windows Update - does it work now?

Re-enable the firewall if you have not already done so!

6. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

I am not at the device now but why would the dlink router be interfering with it?

7. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Some routers have a firewall which could be your problem. Removing it would eliminate this. I guess you could just turn the router firewall off if you prefer to test this theory.

This is going to be a process of elimination so bear with me. I will suggest all I can think of until we get there. Others may chime in with suggestions they have to so hang in there!

8. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

Got it to work finally interesting I couldn't get a valid IP address when conencting directly to the cable modem. Tried another router still ran into issues, finally changed the ethernet cable pluigged it into the router it started to download updates!

9. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Glad you got it figured out. Interested to know if previously you had been able to download updates with the old ethernet cable ok beforehand? Or was this a new set up?

10. MikeF15334

MikeF15334 Private E-2

The PC was a client of mines that I was fixing that needed to be reformatted with a fresh install. I used a different port on the router, and changed the cable and it worked.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds