Locked out of laptop because keyboard stopped working?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by On edge, Jan 16, 2008.

1. On edge

On edge Corporal

Short version: The keyboard stops working when the Windows XP logon screen appears, so I cannot type my password to login to windows. What to do? (I've already wasted a whole day trying to fix this).

More details:

The mousepad also stops working when I first press a key (any key) on the keyboard. My wireless USB mouse continues to function. The problem is not with the keyboard itself since it works fine in the setup screens I can enter with F8,F9,F10,... Safe mode doesn't help. I've tried repairing windows from Recovery Console DVD, but without success (it reinstall a bunch of windows files, but the problem persists). I've also tried disabling some of the drivers (for basic anti-malware programs that might have caused conflicts) through recovery console (keyboard works fine there), but again the problem persists once I get to windows screens.

I doubt this is a virus/malware problem since I recently did a lot of scans and had a lot of protection programs, plus this is a relatively new laptop, which I've mainly used for work (no sketchy sites). However, I think removing the some of those anti-malware programs earlier caused something to go wrong (couldn't log on in normal mode), but I was able to system restore to an older date (maybe five days go) - but 5 days ago when pre-system cleanup, so I tried to restore to an earlier point (2 days ago), and that's when the keyboard stopped working... The last changes I remember making the night before the initial problem were enabling some HP Security features in an attempt to get the finger print scanner working again (it still doesn't, if it did I wouldn't need the keyboard to log on to windows via my password.) Suggestions?

p.s. I recently had a trojan problem on my desktop (different computer), which I posted about in the malware section, but in the process of fixing that I also installed loads of anti-malware on my laptop, since I needed them for the desktop which was crippled at the time.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Have you tried a full, safe, Windows reload? Boot to your Windows CD and reload Windows without formatting the drive, and it will repair the OS without any loss of personal data, documents, program files, etc.... You could also try a plugging in a desktop PC's keyboard after Windows loads to the desktop just to see if it helps. Maybe doing that will get the keyboard drivers to "kick in" again and get the laptop keyboard working properly. Why did you restore again after you restored to "5 days ago"? It sounds like it was working OK from your description.... anyway... personally, Id do the safe reapir installation of Windows, and if doesn't work, and using another keyboard doesn't work, then I'd back up my important stuff, and format the drive and reload Windows clean....

3. On edge

On edge Corporal

- yes, i've tried a full repair install twice (takes about 45 min), didn't work

- my desktop keyboard doesn't fit. i don't have a USB beyboard but i suppose that should work since the USB mouse works - except now things have deteriorated to the point where i don't even get as far as the logon screen...

- i tried to reach an earlier point because i had done a lot of changes/cleanup recently (removed symantec, installed avg, removed bunch of anti-malware and remanant folders, removed programs i don't need, set up a new email system for desktop, etc...) when i restored to an earlier time all that was gone, and symantec was back and things were kinda of sucking.... i was hoping for a shortcut...

- no 'important' data on hard drive per se because i saved all my work on a memory stick for easier transport/switching between laptop at work and desktop at home.

anyway, i'm going to leave the laptop with the IT people at my university - hopefully they can get it to work. though at this point a full format and reinstall may be the best solution since even if i get it to work, i suspect it would be messed up...

4. candive

candive Corporal

Scan the memory stick for Virus / Spyware or you may reload the problem.

5. On edge

On edge Corporal

just an update: i reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows. it was better this way because now the fingerprint scanner works again (i was unable to 'repair' it before), and i have less clutter in general.

6. candive

candive Corporal

Reformat is my favorite.
    I have "everything" backed up to DVD twice.
    If I think it will take more than an hour to find and fix and I,m in a hurry, I just reload everything. :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds