Unable to access secure sites

Discussion in 'Software' started by becs, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. becs

becs Private E-2

Hi! I am having trouble accessing secure websites. This started about 4 days ago and I feel like I have been sitting here trying to fix it ever since!!
    I am running XP/SP2, my internet connection is through a data card which I've been using happily for over a year. I've got Norton running which has live updates enabled. I can't access secure sites through IE6 or Firefox, although non-secure sites are fine.
    Things I have tried:
    -Clearing cookies and temporary internet files
    -Every conceivable combination of settings through IE's internet options
    -SP2 has been on my computer for probably a year, so it's not that
    -cipher strength is 128bit
    -disabled all of Norton with no luck
    -a system restore which worked until I restarted my computer, now it doesn't do anything
    -ran sfc /scannow
    -ran net start cryptsvc
    -re-registered Softpub.dll, Wintrust.dll, Initpki.dll, Dssenh.dll, Rsaenh.dll, Gpkcsp.dll, Sccbase.dll, Slbcsp.dll, Cryptdlg.dll
    -ran a full Norton scan which picked up nothing
    -ran Spybot S&D which found a few things but nothing that fixed my problem
    -ran hijack this and discovered the reason I hadn't been able to use google for months, don't know a lot about hijack so was a bit wary of deleting anything else. Can post the log if anyone thinks it will help.
    -I tried opening a new profile but couldn't get my data card to work at all. Will work on this one a bit more if I don't throw my laptop out the window!!

I found this on a previous thread dealing with this problem...

"It turned out to be the Norton anti-virus/internet security drivers. When I tried to uninstall norton I kept getting messages saying that I couldn't uninstall because I wasn't signed in. When I tried to manually uninstall I got similar error msg's. So I decided to individually re-install from the Symantec folder. One by one the .dll.exe programs. Most told me that the versions were up to date and didn't need to be installed. One did re-install, and now all is well. It was in the live update folder in symantec."

Should I try this? I'm not entirely sure how to go about reinstalling things manually one by one like this.

Any suggestions very welcome!! Thanks!!

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

It could be something to do with your firewall settings. Check them out. Are you using Norton's or XP's firewall or something else?

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Found this over at Microsoft.

4. becs

becs Private E-2

Thanks for replying!! I am running Norton's firewall but I still have the same problem with it disabled. I checked out that page that you found but the ccapp.exe file already loads with windows, so it can't be that either!! I might have a go at uninstalling Norton and seeing if that does anything. I know this will probably end in tears, but hey - I probably can't make it worse!!

5. becs

becs Private E-2

Right. I can finally access secure sites again. I managed to get a new administrator profile going with internet access and it's all fine. Seems like a bit of a bandaid solution and I'm a bit confused as to why this works so I'm starting a whole new thread on user profiles. But hey - I can read my emails again!!! (If only possibly temporary)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds