Drive Not In My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dlsmith82, Jan 15, 2006.

1. dlsmith82

dlsmith82 Private E-2

I am attempting to use an external hard drive through a USB2 connection. The drive shows up in My Device Manager and states it is working properly. However, the Drive never shows up in My Computer so I can use it. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, I have done the same with the drive itself. Any ideas about getting this drive to show up in My Computer?

2. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Welcome to MG. :)

Is the external hard drive formatted?

3. dlsmith82

dlsmith82 Private E-2

I would like to format it but can not access it. The last time it was used it was formatted and had files moved to it. However, as much as I would like to re-format and start from scratch, I can not. I know of no ther way to access it other than through My Computer.

4. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

You say it is visible under Device Manager. Is it marked as a removeable drive?

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Oh and what OS are you using?

6. dlsmith82

dlsmith82 Private E-2

My OS is XP Pro. In Device Manager it is listed under disc drives along with my internal hard drive. There is no identification as a removable drive.

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Under the Prpoerties> Settings tab there should be a check box called "Removeable" (at least there is in Win98SE).

Anyhow is there not a disk mamangemnt option under XP under administrative tools (?) which allows you to format USB drives.?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds