Help with ATI radeon x1650

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by goina, Jul 20, 2007.

1. goina

goina Private E-2

Hi, i just bought an ATI SAPPHIRE x1650 XT 256mb gddr3 PCI-E graphic card and installed it in my motherboard ASUS P5GDC deluxe.
    There is a strange noise, like mouse clicks or high pitch sound on different occasions like when i scroll or move windows the noise goes while scrolling or moving and then stops. When there is a sort of video or flash advertisement (some, not all of them...) the noise is constant untill i minimize or close or change the page im looking at. When i click on an icon, it goes on for a second and then drops. When i click elsewhere deselecting the icon the noise comes again and drops.
    Its really strange because i already change the card and the same exact thing happens again.
    I've heard that some guys had a similar problem, and installed windows vista on their machines and the problem stopped (very strange). I'm running Windows XP proffesional Service Pack 2, and have the latest drivers (tried also with old drivers and there is no change).
    It's not a problem of the fan although it seems that (the fan is new and i already changed it), it's like an electricity sound...
    Well, hope someone can help me.
    thanks!

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

where is the sound coming from? when i first got my new card i forgot to plug in the power cable and it made this awful high pitched squeal until i turned it off.

3. goina

goina Private E-2

The sound is coming from the graphic card, from the side where the fan is.
    Power cable? I found only the fan cable which is plugged in the card...

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I dont know if the x1650 needs it but on most newer cards there is a molex plug on the back of the card.

Ok so i looked at some pics of it on newegg and it doesnt appear to need an external power source. Start up the computer and lightly apply pressure to the center of the fan until it stops and see if the noise goes away. (or just try this whenever its making the noise) It could just be the fan

5. goina

goina Private E-2

Did it, and sound still goes on... So the fan is not the problem, grrr its really freaking me out.
    thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds