entry point SMapLS / kernel32.dll error...

Discussion in 'Software' started by gidget1115, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gidget1115

gidget1115 Private E-2

Okay here is the deal. My dad was having major issues with his computer. I got rid of his Norton and put on AVG which of course solved 99.9% of his problems. The reason I had to do this was because we could not get his new Windows XP (Home) to install (Upgrade not full version) - plus Norton is the devil.

NOW - we are getting an error on boot up that says "the procedure entry point SMapLS could not be located in the dynamic link library kernel32.dll".
    I did a little online research and cannot seem to locate a solution. It does not seem to affect the computer at all other than the fact that you have to click OK and then everything boots and continues as normal.
    The only info I can find is that this seems to happen with the upgrade to WinXP (Billy is another devil...) and people sometimes see it popping up with Windows Media Player, on boot up, or with their photoshop programs. While there are several replies that state what this error is... "some remants from old Windows programs remain and the computer is looking up something that was working fine under the older version of windows but cannot function under the new XP version..." NOBODY seems to mention how the heck to get rid of it.

As I mentioned though - it is merely an annoyance at this point and not really affecting anything but it is in fact an annoyance and quite frankly when I'm at his house and boot up it irritates the shit out of me. :eek:
    Any suggestions?

Here are his specs: WinXP (Home - 2002 Version w/SP2), Intel Pentium III, 797 MHz, 128 MB RAM
    (upgrade was done from Windows ME (ie the worst damn version of Windows EVER)

Thanks for any assistance!!! ;)

2. gidget1115

gidget1115 Private E-2

Update

Still doing a google and found this but not too keen on running around deleting multiple files unless I know for sure. Perhaps the file was duplicated because the one from WinME was still there and XP added another?

"The problem was I had a winmm.dll file in my Windows folder and my System folder and my System 32 folder, when it should only be in the windows 32 folder....
    I deleted the filed from my system and windows folders and left the one in the system 32 folder and now the error is gone...."

Since winmm.dll is a multimedia folder this would make sense that most people get the error we are getting when opening WMP, games, photoshop progs and on system boot up.

There are five occurences of this file in the system:

C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\System32
    C:\Windows\winmm.zip
    C:\Windows\Service PackFiles\...
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistrubution\Download\...

My head is spinning now...:rolleyes:

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

To be on the safe side:
    start / run / type "sfc /scannow" ...without qoutes ....have the xp disk handly. Run atleast twice.

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I odn't know anything about this issue, but instead of deleting a file just reboot to safe mode and RENAME a file by right-clicking on it and selecting rename. ie rename it to winmm.dll.old or winmm.dll.bak.

You will need to turn off the option to 'Hide extensions for known file types' in the folder options for explorer (Tools --> FOlder Options)

Reboot to normal mode and see if it helps, if not just boot back into safe mode and change it back!

5. gidget1115

gidget1115 Private E-2

Thanks guys! Will try these suggestions sometime tonight and hopefully it will solve the annoyance so I manage to salvage the last three hairs on my head.

6. jpeeps

jpeeps Private E-2

renaming the winmm.exe file to old in safe mode then restarting to normal mode fixd the problem!

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds