Windows - Cant boot normally or in safe mode! :D

Discussion in 'Software' started by AL3X416, Nov 19, 2006.

1. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

After getting help last night from another weird problem, which might not have ANYTHING to do with this.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=107969

So, I restarted many times last night and it was fine. I go to boot it up this morning, it boots. I get to the login screen, it says theres not enough space in the registry, logging into default user. Nothing happens, I restart. NOW, it doesnt show the windows loading screen. Just the bios screen, and a blue dell bar at the top with one line of data that appears for less than a second.

I'm screwed :-(

EDIT - And no, I did not do a repair install as he said to. Didnt feel like it :-(

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

3. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

Well. So far so good.

I did all of it, though I acidently created a bootsector with a different name than my real XP Edition, so now I have to redo that.

Though I tried booting into the new one and I logged in, and it said loading my personal settings for like 10 minutes, so I just decided to fix the bootsectors for now.

4. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

Alright. So I have dos problemos now.

One, on the TWO bootsectors that load windows, both login, but just sit at 'Loading Personal Settings.

Two, I have 4 different bootsectors. I only need one. AHH!

5. TimW

Can you boot into any one of them ...can you get into safe mode ...can you get into msconfig?

These two threads are making my head hurt.

6. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

Okay okay. So, the newest one I made logged in perfectly. Safemode? Why. MSCONFIG? I'll check that out..

7. TimW

If you are in ...then go to msconfig ....look in boot.ini ....click the button for check boot paths(?) ...delete those that don't work.

8. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

Well I just renamed them all to Boot1 - 4, and tested each one to see which one worked, then opened up Boot.INI in Notepad++ and deleted the other lines for the boots, and renamed it back to Windows XP Media Center Edition, and added /noguiboot and /fastdetect.

So, its working now. Thanks a bunch for finally making me realize how easy it is.. most of the time to fix problems that seem huge.

9. TimW

TGIF...(Thank Major Geeks It's Fixed) ....rock and roll.:)

10. AL3X416

AL3X416 Private E-2

Its backk. I've redone the bootsector thing 4 times now, and none of them will login. They'll load windows/personal settings, and sit there, and show a blank error message and try to shutdown.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds