I cannot boot in safe mode ,Windows XP Pro SP2

Discussion in 'Software' started by clock1, Feb 22, 2007.

1. clock1

clock1 Private E-2

Hi
    our office computer was infected , chaslang is helping me to fix it :
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?p=934646&posted=1#post934646
    and he asked me to add a post about safe mode problem here .
    When the computer was infected , the Malware stopped Norton , Spybot and i cannot boot in safe mode; i am here hopping that you can help me solving this problem .

At the start up i push on F8 as usual and the black screen with the login choices appears , i choose safe mode.after pressing enter some files show up scrolling and end in a file i don't remeber it's name but it ends with "agp.sys" then the screen become completely black and i receive another message ""We're sorry for the inconvenience..." and 4 choices safe mode and safe mode with networking i don't remeber the third and the 4th is normal mode , if i choose safe mode it returns back to this screen and the only chance to me is to enter to windows in normal mode.

I googled about this problem , some said that it is a cause of Nero , but i do not have Nero and the problem started after the infection.

I found many solutions but i am afraid to do something maybe it will make things worst .

Can you help me please .

Thank you

2. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

I don't know if this will help, but my thread

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=118199

in this forum describes a similar problem. My XP SP2 system was taking a long time to boot in safe mode, and I thought it was hung after agpCPQ.sys, but when I selected "safe mode with networking" it booted up in that mode OK. The reason I needed to do that was that "safe mode" doesn't disable all networking drivers necessarily, so the non-disabled ones that have dependencies on the disabled ones may hang in "plain" boot mode.

If you do this, I recommend you leave it connected to a LAN connection (that has a DHCP server if the infected machine is if you are configured as a DHCP client) but disconnect the local subnet from the internet so it won't get attacked again while the antivirus program is down.

Another way is a bootable Norton antivirus install CD.

3. clock1

clock1 Private E-2

Thank you sumthinelse

I tried your solution even before adding my post , and i did the opposite too , i unplugged the network cable and i tried to boot in both safe and safe with networking.

It stills the same , and i noticed something weired , in the device manager , i usually see one network card under network adapters which is Reltek , But i noticed that there is another network card " WAN Minipoint (ppp0e), which i never saw before in this place!! i disabled it , i didn't notice anything had changed and i can connect to the net normally .

I don't have this cd .

I notice that this symptoms (safe mode reboot failure) is frequent these days in many Tech forums , i wonder why ?

Thank you for your help any way :)

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

One of your F8 options is
    "last known good configuration"

Have you tried this?

Studio T

5. sumthinelse

sumthinelse Private E-2

Do you mean you would be able to connect to the net if you could boot the machine?

6. clock1

clock1 Private E-2

Yes , and it works the same as if i choose safe mode .
    No , i mean that WAN Minipoint (pppoe) does not affect my connection, and i do not know from where this card came from ? i only have one card ( Reltek ).

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

The symptoms you are describing show that windows is continually restarting at the failure point.

If last known good does not work you are in for a re installation.

There a two types
    A 'clean install' which basically means start from scratch and always works on a good system. It does however mean total loss of data so to preserve your data you must control the pc from another operating system, on floppy, USB, network or whatever. you can even control it from a second temporary install of windows on the failed pc. Popin your Windows Cd and follow the instructions, choosing to reformat the hrd drive when prompted.

A ' repair install' which reinstalls windows over the top of the existing and works most of the time. In this case you data is preserved (along with any viruses!) but some programs and windows updates and service packs may need reinstallation afterwards. See

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=116231

Studio T

8. clock1

clock1 Private E-2

Is there any way to avoid any installation clean or repair ? :(

can i make any scan using the xp cd to search for any missed files then to overwrite it ?

what about fixing boot.ini ?

I do remember that their is a command to make scan searching for missing or corrupted files , do you think that it could fix ? i do not remember this command by the way !!

Thanks

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Did you not do this with Chas?

in safe mode
    start>run>typein

sfc /scannow
    press return

The system will prompt for you XP CD
    insert and click retry

restart.

I don't hold out much hope but good luck

Studio T

10. clock1

clock1 Private E-2

How in safe mode if i cannot access in safe mode !!?

11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I would move that drive into another system and install it as a slave and then backup your important data. A repair install may work but as said before, you'll still be infected.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds