STOP 24 after removing malware and malware removal apps.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, Feb 19, 2009.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Had a machine in riddle with viruses which we duly cleaned up and removed without incident. Uninstalled the applications one at a time, restarting each time it was required and all was good.

After removing the last app (dont ask me which one it was I cant rememebr) the machine no longer starts.

It's boot cycling but once we disable automatic restart on system failure it brings up a STOP 24 error.

Have booted to puppy linux and examined the hard drive (which is SATA btw) and the data seems intact so we can assume, physically at least, that the drive is good.

Booting to an XP CD and attempting to access the recovery console to run chkdsk /r and it appears the drive is either not detected or is empty (the latter we know not to be the case)

Boot to an X CD to attempt a repair install and it tells me there is no hard drive present.

Check the BIOS and the drive is detected properly. swap the hard drive for a SATA CD and it detects the CD without issue which makes me thing the SATA controller must be functioning too.

Now it seems that the this single disk system has some kind of RAID configured on it according to the boot screens. My next step would be to remove the RAID but I'm concerned it might format the drive. Is this likely? It has an ASUS A8R-MX/S motherboard but the info I get from their site is a little vague.

Am I on the right track with the RAID thing or way off base, help me folks its driving me nuts.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds