Backup Power for Desktop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hyphen, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Hyphen

Hyphen Private First Class

Been getting power surges a lot recently and a surge protector isn't enough, is there something I can buy to protect my desktop from instant outage? My laptops have a battery so that's great, need something to act the same as a battery but for my desktop.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

3. Hyphen

Thanks man, that's really unique. Zooming in is giving me an error right now, how does that work? Connects to an outlet and then to your desktop by USB/firewire, or?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, the USB connection, goes to your computer, then you can monitor the UPS. Also, you can set auto shutdowns based on battery time. Right now, I have about 19 Mins, with both monitors and computer, with keyboard (have the logitech g19) hooked into it, with the mouse hooked into the keyboard as well as my headset. My other UPS powers the speakers and cable modem and router.

I've been in situations in the past where I was in a raid, and I lost power. Well, now I have the chance to say, I lost power, will stay for 10 mins, then log.

More info:

Essentially, the UPS has batteries in them, that will keep your computer on, if you have a power outage. Though, they will slowly deplete, and the UPS will start beeping. But, it is better to have a graceful shutdown then, the other type.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That UPS is overkill IMO though very nice. The Ultra 500W would be good for a lower end machine that only has brief power outs. I love my old 1025VA Ultra, it's on its second battery now, gives me a good 5 min to properly shut down my machines though these days the power is usually just out for a second or less but that's going to give me grief if it goes out often as I run my machines 24/7.

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I agree with augiedoggie on price level. You can easily stay below $100 unless you really identify a need for a higher priced unit. Here's one I'd consider: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...yMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Like car batteries, the batteries in these UPS devices don't last forever. I've replaced batteries in two of them. Replacing a battery is often, but perhaps not always, more economical than replacing the whole unit.

7. augiedoggie

Yup, exactly like a car battery, sealed lead-acid in my case. Going on 6 yrs. now with second battery and time to decide to replace again or buy new. Heck, I can't even find one ATM.:-D Time for a new UPS.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

I just wanted plenty of time for whatever is needed. Though, I'd go with the kind that can extend to another bank of batteries, but those are way out of my price range.

9. Hyphen

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

APC is a well known UPS manufacturer. I have an APC and would definitely consider that brand if I were shopping for a new unit now. However, when comparing the two units you've posted, one point that would probably lead me toward the Tripp Lite in this case is that it connects to the PC via USB cable and comes with software which automatically shutsdown the computer at a user-set time if a power failure occurs. Many APC units also have these features but this one does not. So, I think I'd choose the Tripp Lite.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

Also, even though I own two APC units, APC is (IMHO) considered the leader in UPS products. So, you'll have to pay a premium for their products. Hence my link above, does everything the usafveteran stated about auto shutdown and usb connection. Also, quite a few other things. But, I did spend the money for it. heh

12. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

As thefool stated, APC is the #1 mfr. (both in terms of sales and quality) of battery backup units. Given their consistant quality, I usually stick with APC versus rolling dice trying to save a few bucks on an off-brand.

Given their weight (shipping cost), you can often find a better overall deal on one locally versus ordering online. Sam's Club and Fry's have good everyday pricing on APC backups; Staples, Office Depot and OfficeMax occasionally run them on sale (plus free shipping on items over $50).

13. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

APC is one of the better UPS manufacturers. Having said they they also manufacture no name UPS' for ATIVA which I believe is an Office Depot brand? Example, I walked into an Office Depot on sale was a ATIVA branded (APC made) UPS 750w providing my computer with about 40 minutes up time at idle (web surfing, email etc) cost $75 think it was normally $100. The exact same UPS branded as APC came in at $150.

The difference between the two was the ATIVA brand didn't come with a USB data cable or the Powerchute software to manage the UPS. Problem quickly solved by contacting APC gave them the serial off the unit which was identified as their $150 model. They sent out a datacable/power management software disc in the mail.

If you want APC without the cost take a very close look at the ATIVA brand and see if you can find an identical model by APC. I'll admit I got very lucky in that I didn't know it was an APC manufactured UPS until I'd got it home.

14. augiedoggie

Wow, half price eh? Quite the savings aidan! Ya on the luck factor.

15. theefool

theefool Geekified

Doubt it was 40mins battery time. Unless you didn't plug in the computer in the right plug. Who knows, I could be wrong.

I didn't get the UPS from newegg. It was actually cheaper to buy at "bestbuy". Shipping UPS is expensive.

16. aidan80

It's in the correct plugs alright unless my computer runs by magic when the lights go out.. as they often do in Florida. I keep only the Tower and Monitor.. a 19" LCD plugged into the battery. It's a UPS XS 1200 apparently made by APC but branded as ATIVA from Office Depot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  17. aidan80

Yes very lucky, I didn't know what I had until I got home. I'd have happily paid $100 if I knew what it was. In fact if I could find another one I'd buy it now to keep my TV and everything else up for a few minutes.

18. aidan80

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds