Question about wireless routers and switches...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunyN00b, Mar 3, 2012.

1. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

Apologies if this has already been answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I think I need a wireless switch. That's what my logic is telling me anyway, but I can't seem to find the setup I'm looking for on Google.

Basically, the building I'm trying to connect in has wireless internet access. The router and access point are somewhere else in the building other than the room in question though, so I can't connect a wired switch directly. What I want to do is be able to use the wireless signal as an access point, but use an ethernet switch to hard wire multiple computers to the network. Even better would be an 8 port KVM with a built in switch that I could connect to wirelessly and then feed the connection through ethernet cables to the machines I'm working on. If I had to buy separate hardware to accomplish this then that wouldn't be the end of the world, but the less clutter the better.

I'm mainly concerned with how to remotely connect an ethernet switch to a wireless router. Can this be done, and if so how?

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'm not sure I understand your goal but I suspect you want to extend the network wirelessly to a group of computers.

It's possible that a router in bridge mode would do what you want. It could connect by wifi to the other Access Point making the Internet connection. Then computers that are wired could be plugged in to the LAN ports of the Router. You should know that you will essentially be channeling however many computers through a single wireless connection. If they are all active at the same time it may cause noticeable slowdowns to the users.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

KVM's are used to share one monitor/keyboard/mouse on multiple pcs, not for sharing network connections. Bridge mode on a router/ap to a switch is your best bet.

4. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

I know what a KVM is. You're not entirely correct either, because there are such things as KVMs with built in ethernet switches.

Example

That one would probably be okay, but ideally I'd like something with 8 or more ports. Having trouble finding it though. Doesn't matter, I can easily find an 8 port KVM and then buy a separate 8+ port switch and set it up that way if I wanted. I'm more concerned with how to connect an ethernet switch remotely to a wireless router on the other side of the building without running a cable directly from the switch to the router. I will research bridge mode since that seems to be the common answer here.

5. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Actually, Colemanguy was exactly right.

The example you linked to is a 3 component unit but the components don't interact with each other inside the unit.

The KVM has nothing to do with the functions of the Ethernet Switch or USB hub.

The Ethernet Switch has nothing to do with the functions of the KVM or USB hub.

The USB hub has nothing to do with the functions of the KVM or Ethernet Switch.

The only thing the three components have in common is that they share the same box and power supply.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I forgot to mention that Linksys, Netgear and D-Link all make Wireless routers with 8 port Ethernet Switches in them.

7. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

It's a single device (or enclosure that houses multiple devices if you'd rather have it worded that way) that can perform multiple functions. I think we're just splitting hairs now. That's like saying the different functions on an all in one printer/scanner/copier/fax unit don't have anything to do with one another, even though one device (or, again, enclosure that houses multiple devices) can execute all of them. You don't need 4 devices for each specific job, because that one unit will do them all. I understand the difference between what a KVM, a USB hub, and an ethernet switch does. My point was that there is in fact such a unit that will allow you to perform the functions of a KVM and an ethernet switch in one unit rather than having to have multiple pieces of hardware. That's the point, I'm looking for one device that will do it all. I've found such a device, but I'm looking for one with more ports. Either way that's not what I was asking and is completely beside the point.

I've attached a picture since it appears that I'm not explaining myself very well.

Attached Files:

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I think we understand your goal and have indicated that a Router in Bridge mode would do the job as far as the networking goes. As I said, Linksys, Netgear and D-Link all make 8 port Routers. If more then that is needed, you can add a switch or go to commercial equipment such as Cisco.

As far as a Multifunction Printer in comparison to the device you linked to, The components of the MFP interact internally. For example, using the scanner to print a copy of something. The device you linked to has three separate devices in a single package that are not capable of influencing each other internally.

I'm not intending to argue, just clarify that a KVM doesn't relate to networking despite what it's packaged with. You may want to look at network KVM's. They can access and control computers over the LAN or internet.

9. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

Okay, let me ask you this then. Let's say in the office that the access point is in he has a Linksys wireless router running off of the DSL modem (I think this building is actually wired for T3, or so the guy says anyway). I'm not sure exactly what setup he's got in there, but for conversation's sake lets say he's broadcasting the signal wirelessly via a Linksys E4200 or something like that. Let's say I have a Cisco Catalyst 2960 or something similar. If he puts the router in bridge mode, what would I have to do to the switch to make it talk to his router? Would I need to plug in some sort or wireless access point or range extender or some other device like that? Or are you guys saying that instead of buying a switch like this I should instead buy a wireless router with a built in switch and put that router in bridge mode, using it to make a connection with the other router and the switch to connect the computers via ethernet cable? Now that I think about it I think that's probably what you're saying. So if that's the case, would his router have to be in bridge mode too? Also, do you have any recommendations of a device that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg? Like I said, looking for a device with at least 8 ports.

Sorry, my networking knowledge is still pretty n00bish. I only got about halfway through the first Net Academy course before I realized I didn't have enough time for it at the time. :-D

10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No, the original router would remain in router mode, the ap/bridge would just intake the wireless signal and pass the traffic through to its internal wired ports. How ever, as shnerdly mentioned, this will probably have very poor performence on the pcs chained off the wireless link if they are all pulling data/being accessed at the same time. Probably better if you can find a way to run a network cable to the location, and then into a switch. Much simpler setup for troubleshooting down the road that way as well.

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If wireless is your best option despite the bottleneck of a single wireless connection for 8 devices, the companies I mentioned in my last two posts here all make 8 port routers in the $130-$150 price range. An alternative would be getting a 4 port router or Access Point and adding a switch. If you use an Access Point, you would need to make sure it supports Bridge Mode, many do not.

I would also try matching the Brand and wireless speed of the other Router for best performance. For example, if the original Router is, as you suggested, a Linksys E4200, I would stay with Linksys for matching technologies and match the Wireless speed which would be 802.11N in the E4200. So any of the reasonably current Linksys Wireless N Routers would work.

12. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

Okay, I think I've got it now. One more question (last one, I promise :p)

In the bridged wireless router scenario, will I be able to see my router on the list of available networks? For example, let's say I walk into the building and want to check my e-mail on my Android phone, and I want to connect to the building's wifi. If I go into my wifi settings, turn on wifi, and search for available networks, will my router be listed there when the list populates? And if so, how would I turn that feature off so that my router wouldn't be broadcasting?

13. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Most Routers have an option to turn off the Broadcast of the SSID which, I think, is what you are referring to.

14. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

Okay, so I lied about that being the last question. :-D

Trying to do something similar at home now. Having trouble getting the routers to talk to each other. The access point is an AT&T 2wire modem/router combo and the router I'm trying to put in bridge mode is a Belkin F5D7231-4. I've done a bit of Googling and it's a little confusing. Tried looking for the DD-WRT firmware but don't really know what to do with it, what I need, or why I even need it for that matter. When I go into the Belkin settings it has options for bridge mode. Just not really sure what to do with it.

Can somebody help me out? Again, just trying to connect the Belkin router wirelessly to the access point and hard wire a couple of machines to it using the ethernet ports.

15. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You may be able to do it with the Belkin you have. From What I have found, you need to put the Belkin in Access Point mode. I would also make sure the DHCP server is off in the Belkin.

I am not familiar at all with Belkin equipment so I'll do some more research on it tomorrow.

16. PunyN00b

PunyN00b Private E-2

Sounds good. Yeah, I don't know much about it either. I'm actually kinda surprised this thing even works. It's just something I had laying around. I have a Linksys WRT110 but apparently you can't put it in bridge mode and there's no 3rd party firmware for it. But in doing some research on the Belkin it appears possible to bridge it. I'll go back there and play with it some more in a little bit. Is there anything I need to do to the 2wire?

17. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If your using any encryption for the wireless on the 2wire, you'll need to know the type of encryption and the security key or phrase.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds