No access to WWW but all progs can access the net ok.

Discussion in 'Software' started by SnOzZ, Oct 29, 2005.

1. SnOzZ

SnOzZ Private E-2

Wondering if anyone can help with this, i am experiencing a weird problem with my pc. when i boot up my pc runs fine, no problems whatsoever then after about 20 mins of browsing my internet dies, and i can get nothing more. The weird part is that i can still access email, i can still play online games and do anything i need to however cant browse the net, i have tried both IE 6 and Netscape for browsing and there both the same. 20 mins of browsing then nothing.

I Disabled my firewall and still the same problem, i removed my modem from the network and plugged it directly to my pc and still the same problem.

I have tried to install windows over the top of my existing instalation which hasnt fixed it.

Im using an athlon 2gh with 1gig of ram, i have a 10mb cable connection. i was running Zonealarm pro however i tried uninstaling that and installed norton internet security, and the problem still exists, im running xp pro with sp2 installed and completley updated.

I have removed all non essencial programs from the pc, i defraged the drive, ive run reg cleaner on my registry but still no fix, i have a util that allows me to see which programs are activating at startup and i have cut them down to the minimum.

I am about to install another copy of windows on a spare HD to try and replicate the problem but havent completed that yet.

anyone got any ideas>?

Thanks

SnOzZ

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

Definetly sounds like IE problems ---do you have the latest update for IE or........Just go with Firefox and enjoy trouble free surfing ----

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Tryityoulllikeit

3. SnOzZ

SnOzZ Private E-2

I will try firefox as i have never used it before, i dont think its linked to IE as the same problem exists when i use Netscape however thanks for your comments, ill give firefox a try when i get home from work.

SnOzZ

4. SnOzZ

SnOzZ Private E-2

Update,

I have now installed xp pro on a spare drive i had lying around, it solves the problem and the pc is working fine, (new 10mb cable connection is totaly cool too =)

BUT i dont wanna have to reinstall all the stuff on my main drive. and firefox didnt fix it,

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks

SnOzZ

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Do you have iTunes installed?

Steve

6. SnOzZ

SnOzZ Private E-2

i do have itunes on my pc yes, i assume it can cause problems. ill remove it and see if it works.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds