Why does it take so long?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bee, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Bee

Bee Private E-2

- When I initially log on to my PC the icons take forever to be drawn. Then it will after about a minute allow me to click on something. I went into MSCONFIG and shutdown almost everything that was unnecessary. The only two additional things that start - up are the HP printer thing on my taskbar, Norton Internet Security. My computer at work is a Dell and has way more icons and is a slower machine but it starts up way faster and doesn’t even have to draw any icons...
    - I have reformatted my HDD and converted it to NTFS after (I know stupid). I have no spyware, no viruses.
    - I run XP Home on a 2.8 GHz P4 HT, 800 MHz FSB, 2mb cache, 1 gig dual channel ram, Chaintech FX 5700 (not LE) VIDEO, 80 gig HDD (IDE) 7200 rpm.

Please help as this is driving me batty....should I consider a new VC or a new HDD. My Mobo is new and it still did this on the old mobo...very confused and desperate, ready to junk this machine and get a boxed Dell machine like I have at work.:mad:

2. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

Just fo kicks try removing the network card from the machine or turn it off in BIOS if it's onboard and try starting the machine withou it. It shouldn't cause any problems with the machine when you replace it as long as you put it back in the same slot.

3. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Heh...I don't get the purpose of doing that???

4. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

I have a laptop that sometimes hangs while trying to get it IP address. When I assigned a static IP the slow boot quite.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Stop Norton Internet Sercurity from starting using msconfig and see if its still the same?

Wouldnt be NIS 2006 would it by any chance?

6. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Norton IS 2005.

And I have noticed that before I loaded NIS 2005 it was still there.

7. bludgen_riffola

bludgen_riffola Private E-2

hi, i`v recently purchased and installed nis 2006........have i somehow put my ker-nackers in the way of an oncoming train by doing so????? as to the problem,i have downloaded c-clean from maj geek and it made my start up faster and icons apprear like they should,(found and cleared 1.7 gig of crud even tho i use registry mec` every other day)

8. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

I didn't think of this earlier but have you checked BIOS to make sure the L1 and L2 cache are turned on.

9. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Would the L2 and L1 be under advanced in the Bios? (I guess it all depends on the manufacturer, mine is MSI).

Also, has anyone else had luck with this C-Clean program?Is it shareware or freeware?What exactly does it do and are there any risks??

Thanks so much in advance:)

10. Geek-A-Hertz

Geek-A-Hertz Private E-2

I don't know where in the MSI BIOS it would be but if you set the overall defaults it should turn them on.

I've never used the CClean program but the Malware guys here seem to think highly of it and their all pretty sharp on what works and what doesn't.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Is it just an icon redraw problem?
    --Thats easily fixed with a reghack.

If its the entire system--try a couple of things.

Go to msconfig, services.

Uncheck DHCP service, and SSDP Discovery service, one at a time, rebooting and testing each.

12. Bee

Bee Private E-2

Is there a guide on how to properly use reghack?

Thanks,
    B

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

14. Bee

Bee Private E-2

I clicked on it and it wants it saved.
    1. do I save it to the desktop
    2. do I run it or what do I do next.
    This will allow more memory for the Icon draw? It is placed in the regestry file?

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It makes the cache larger. Well, it enables the option for you to do so.

Yes, run it.

16. Bee

Bee Private E-2

It works good for that day but after a couple of days it seems to revert back to the way it was, I then run the program again and it works again until i SHUT THE SYSTEM DOWN.

IS this only a temp. fix?

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, it should be very permanent. I have to use it on my system. You sure you don't have an issue with a memory leak? have you tried a new user account?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds