Building

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by comperroruter, May 28, 2006.

1. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

All right, here is the hardware:

1. Quantum Fireball, 3.5" series - 30GB hard drive

Western Digital WD Caviar313000, enhanced IDE Drive - 13020MB - Hard Drive

2. Memorex 4x CD Rom
    Model # CD-482E

3. Compaq CD Rom Drive
    Model LTN-403

4. ZIP Drive
    Model # Z100ATAPI

5. A: Drive (Floppy)
    Compaq
    PN#161697-FBO

I cannot get them all to play nice together. 250W power supply. The are all recognized in hardware, but not in my computer. They all connect so they should show, as they do, but I cannot get them to work. Does not do any good to have the computer know they are there but not use them. By the way, OS is Millenium. I do not even want to try XP with only 30GB of space, unless you all recommend it.
    Should I put it together default and install XP then try to add components? Not connected to internet with it either. I can do that though if necessary. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Are the various drives set as master/slave? ....Might have to set as cable select ....not too small for xp (how much ram ....min. 64mg's ...better 256 +)...on the right ide cables (primary/secondary)?

3. Shotgun_Shortz

Shotgun_Shortz Corporal

I agree, you may have the cables set up to the wrong Hardware. An example like having the CDROM drive hooked up in the motherboard slot where the Hard Drive should be.

4. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

How do I set them as master/slave? I think I am running about 64mb's of Ram so XP is out of the question. I hooked the original drive to the first cable and the second drive to the second cable. now the wiring was numbered 5, 6 - but I think they were power supply cords, no big difference right?

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No... power cords don't make a diff....on the face of the hard drive should be a small diagram of jumper settings ...master / slave / cable select (maybe) ...you may have to go to the website to find it ....the master (one with boot /os on it ...should be last on the cable and master ...the other should be in the middle of the cable and slave ....leave the rest )cd's and a drive) unplugged ....boot and report back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds