Win 7 Blue screen of death

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dellboy, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Dellboy

Dellboy Private E-2

Quick bit of background
    Its a new 1 GB HD and I have Win 7 ultimate and added Firefox for internet.

I wasnt totally happy with the AVG antivirus software as it seemed to be a freebie when I downloaded firefox.

Yesterday I bought Norton Antivirus on line (used before- no problems and understand the interface well enough). I downloaded it

I ran it and it said there was incompatability with AVG, so I stopped and uninstalled AVG.

From then on I was getting the BSOD, and the system when it rebooted opened up with the link to AVG asking why I had removed it. As I couldnt get rid of it I decided to uninstall Firefox and reinstall (hopefully without AVG).

The AVG message doesnt come up any more, as no Firefox, but Internet explorer doesnt work and trying to use it causes a crash. Using any other saftware that might conceivably require internet access also causes a crash.

I can still get email so I obviously have some sort of access via my modem.

I tried uninstalling NAV but that just caused another crash.

I had a look on work PC about the Windows debug software but I dont see how I can use it as it says internet access required.

The info on BSOD says
    Technical inf: STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005,0x83206487,0xA216777C,0x00000000)

*** ataport.sys - Address 83206487 base at 83200000, datestamp4a5bbf16

Hopefully this will mean something to someone who can point me in the right direction to fix my problem. Thanks

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Welocome Dellboy ;)

1. 1 TB hard drive?

2. Download software from a reputable source that supplies it clean, not from sources that use 'wrappers' and bundles. Check everything during the setup process, only install what you were looking for.

3. Use the AVG remover tool to ensure it's all gone.

4. Remove Norton fully with this tool.

5. Check IE for internet access, if ok, install only one antivirus.

0x8E usually means that there's a bad driver trying to load - this could mean a security driver, once you've completed the above, use the machine as normal - if you get another BSOD, go to C:\Windows\Minidumps, copy the latest files from there to your Desktop, zip (right-click, Send to compressed folder) and attach the resulting zip file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds