RAID 0....worth the effort?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Texasbobby, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Texasbobby

Texasbobby Private E-2

Given a choice between:

(a) A pair of 37GB WD Raptors @ 10,000 rpm in a RAID 0 setup or........

(b) a single 74GB WD Raptor running at the same 10,000 rpm, is there going to be a performance difference between the two scenarios?

Which way would you go? I plan to add a larger, 7200 rpm drive for storing data that I don't need as quickly and am running an Intel 3.4GHz, 925X mobo, 800 FSB with 1 GB of DDR2 533 MHz ram.

Should I go with the 2 37GB Raptors or the single 74GB Raptor?

Thanks.

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Id go with the 2 37gbs in a raid 0... I have a 60GB 7200 RPM drive and a 40GB 7200 RPM drive. Before i only had the 60GB as the system drive and i got around 30~35MBs. I was looking for a little more so i set up the 2 drives together in a raid 0 array and now i get 70~75MBs ( but i did lose 20GB in the proses :-/ ) If you dont have any thing vary important on your PC or dont mind backing up alot ( if one drive goes you loose everything ) go for it :)
    BTW im running stripe size of 16Kb and a cluster size of 16Kb. Hope that helps.

3. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

omg, 2 raptors on raid == hella fast, i have one of the 36.7 GB raptors, and a 120GB 7200 rpm just for storage, and i LOVE the speed of the single raptor, i can only imagine what the performance boost would be with 2

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Suggest using DriveImage for backup. Using DriveImage2002, i get transfer rates of 140-150 megs per minute on my old W98SE, P2/400 laptop transferring from a 30gig 2.5" IBM to another partition on the same drive. (approx 7 mins per gigabyte transfer rate). Not sure if ACE 256 transfer rates of 70~75MBs, relate to per second, or per minute. The little "s" could be plural of MegaBytes, or per s"econd". If per second, forget my advice. His transfer rate being approx 30 times faster than mine. Lucky devil. Bazza

===

5. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I meant megabytes per second sorry if i wasn't clear :eek:

Attached Files:

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Bl**dy hell that's fast.:cool: I'll just go back into my corner and sulk.:) Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds