Any PCI-E X16 slot for video card?Any PCI-E slot for sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rikky, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Does it matter which PCI-E X16 slot you use? My board has 2 full X16 slots and I want to run my GTX590 lower down in the case to move it away from my soundcard.

Here's my board

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449&dl=1#sp

Also does anyone have any experience running sound cards ect. in full size PCI-E X16 slots? they obviously don't engage the clips on the socket but do they still work?

I've never had reason to try either of these configurations and my computer is in pieces ATM while I'm upgrading it so I have no way to test for any problems but everything I've read on the subject so far says there shouldn't be any problems with either of afore mentioned configurations.

Thanks

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

When all else fails, RTFM! Note on page 12, Note 2, it says,

3. Rikky

Reading's so last season:-D Thanks Digerati;)

I've put my computer back together and the sound card will fit above the video card in the PCI-E X1 slot the only problm being I will have to drain the system and disconnect the hose from the video card to add or remove it.

So would still like to know if sticking my sound card in a X16 slot is feasible.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well, since you've told us absolutely nothing about your sound card, I'd have to say, RTFM for your sound card!

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehehe Rikky, you should know better than to supply a dearth of info.;) My eVGA mobo balks with no video card in the first slot, can't you stopper up your cooling tubes and try different slots? Like digerati said, RTFM first.:-D Just slap the sucker in a PCI-EX1 SLOT on top. What's the problem?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  6. Rikky

lol I'm being told off:-D It was just a general question as to PCI-E compatibility though.

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_D2X/

In the manual it just says requires PCI-E X1 slot

My northbridge cooler blocks the highest PCI-E X1 slot above the video card and the one below it as said means I have to remove a hose from my vid card cooler and drain the system which will be a pain.

I'm not stuck just wondering,I have other options with regard to hose placement but those other options cause other problems which will have to be addressed.

Just a general question if anyone runs X1 cards in X16 slots.

7. augiedoggie

Now I understand your dilemma, that does look like a big assed Northbridge on your mobo, like most are these days. Sorry Rikky, you'll have to test your mobo to see if a video card will be accepted into slot two, if you have enough slack in the tubing, it wouldn't hurt anything and just not boot, I'd be hesitant to install that beautiful sound card into any PCI-EXx slot before making sure.

I'm sure there's someone in your predicament on the interwebs that's gone through this. Mimsy's the only one here that has a water cooled machine and is a gamer too that I know of. Good luck mate!

8. Rikky

Well I've settled for putting it above my video card I'll just have to drain the system if I need to remove it.

When by radiator stand is finished I'll post pics of the complete build.;)

Thanks for everyone's input,BTW the northbridge is even bigger now I've attached a fan to it Augie:-D I was gonna buy a water block but they're like £50 and will probably be overkill anyway so I just removed cleaned put some AS5 on,removed the toplate to increase cooling then installed a fan hopefully that should keep it cool enough for me to bump the base clock up,I was reading 70 C when I last over clocked it 40-50 or so MHZ.

9. augiedoggie

[QUOTE='Rikky]Thanks for everyone's input,BTW the northbridge is even bigger now I've attached a fan to it Augie I was gonna buy a water block but they're like £50 and will probably be overkill anyway so I just removed cleaned put some AS5 on,removed the toplate to increase cooling then installed a fan hopefully that should keep it cool enough for me to bump the base clock up,I was reading 70 C when I last over clocked it 40-50 or so MHZ.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha! You superglued a 25mm fan on it or something?;) I think what a lot of folks forget is when one changes from the standard fan to a water solution that the HS/F also cools the vregs and the Northbridge. I fell into that trap when I installed my Corsair H50 on the CPU. The vreg temps went skyrocketing, like 105C. It's the highest temps anyone has seen on the eVGA forums.:-D Removing that airflow over the vreg heatsink really kaiboshed it. It forced me not to go over 3.8 gigs on my OC and it has luckily stood up to the abuse these last 3 years. I most likely could have gotten to 4 gigs or more.

It's a good board, tri-SLI and all but I couldn't get the temps down, you can see it here, the silver heatsink between the pump and the radiator, some seven or so chromed leaves.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  10. augiedoggie

BTW Rikky, you said pushing your i7 by 50 megs gives you issues? You must mean on top of your regular OC, correct?

11. Rikky

Not issues just high chipset temperatures it was still perfectly stable,apparently Intel states the chipset temp is good till 100C but I have my doubts.

And I mean 180mhz on the base clock "FSB" from the stock 133mhz not CPU overclock.

I've added extra cooling just for piece of mind really,I want to be sure the chipset temp isn't killing my overclock.

12. augiedoggie

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds