Home Network - Bridge mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by athdir, Nov 18, 2014.

1. athdir

athdir Private E-2

Hello guys,

I would like to kindly ask whether there is anyone who can help me with a home network issue I am trying to resolve.

On previously posted threads I could not find anything relevant.

Thank you!

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

We will need your computer specs and exactly what you are doing?
    Is this a cable line you want to use as wifi or some other application?

3. athdir

athdir Private E-2

Hello DOA and thank you for your reply.

I have placed a router (Technicolor TD5136 v2) in my bedroom and connected a PC to it via ethernet cable. This PC cannot get connected to the router wirelessly.

The wireless signal, though, in the rest of the apartment is weak.

Since I have a couple of spare routers (Thomson TG585 v8, ZTE VDX10 H108L) I have thought that I could somehow wirelessly connect one of them to the router in my bedroom and strengthen the signal in the rest of the apartment.

So, can I use one of the spare routers as a repeater?Is this feasible with the available equipment?

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It is sometimes possible to daisy chain different routers in this way, so that each provides an internet access point, but setup does require a fair understanding of networking and it won't work with all routers. You would find two or three powerline adapters far easier to set up as these do not require any networking knowhow at all. Powerline adapters use your electrical wiring as a network, and work very well and reliably.

Search for powerline adapters

5. athdir

athdir Private E-2

Earthling,

I think that those only provide with wired access.

I was also wondering whether my spare equipment could be of any use before ending up in the bin!

6. Earthling

You can get them with wifi capability too.

I daisy chained two routers in the way you are asking about but I didn't find it satisfactory as there were then two wireless networks in the house and if you took your tablet to bed with you and were out of range of the primary router you had to switch your connection, and vice versa when going back down. You can't use two routers and have only the one wireless network but I believe there are signal boosters available though I've never tried one.

7. Earthling

8. athdir

athdir Private E-2

Thank you very much for your advice.
    I will still give it a shoot and try to connect my routers, though. I don't want to quit so easily :)

9. Earthling

Good for you! Let us know how it goes.

10. Earthling

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds