Touchpad help

Discussion in 'Software' started by brandypeppy, Nov 18, 2014.

1. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I have a Toshiba satellite L505 lappy and have been using an external mouse, but in case that goes out, would like the touchpad to work. Toggle F9 does nothing, have checked the mouse properties setting, toggled off/on touchpad, downloaded and installed a driver from synaptics, nothing. Utility said it is a Synaptic Touchpad V 7.2, the driver download looked like a generic one, but should have worked? All else is great with the machine, not a malware issue. There is no visible on/off switch on keyboard, front or side. Any ideas??

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Some laptops, like my HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC, have a button somewhere on the touchpad. On mine, it's a subtle spot on the upper left corner of the touchpad; it is slightly indented or recessed so that it can be felt when moving a finger over it. By tapping it twice, the touchpad is turned off/on.

I just found some info that might be helpful: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboa...or-disable-turn-off-the-touch-pad/ta-p/447265

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I've looked for that...carefully, just not there. Uninstalled touchpad driver, reinstalled specific one for my lappy from Toshiba website, still doesn't work?? Even booted up with wireless mouse unplugged from USB post. Like the keypad and the two buttons don't exist! What else could it be?? Is there a hard reset for this somewhere?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

L505 followed by ES50xy where xy=11, 12, 15, 16, 18, 33, 34, 36, 42 or GS5035?

32 or 64 bit of Win 7?

also

5. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

L505-ES55018
    Win 7, 64 bit
    I've tried everything I could think of. I've never pulled the keyboard and top panel off this lappy but I'm wondering if it could be a loose connection to the touchpad, I think that has it's own cable from the ones I have seen?? Then again, that seems very unlikely I would think. It's not that difficult to check, but I hate to start disassembling unless there is a reasonable chance. Would like to eliminate other possibilities first. As I indicated before, all else is fine or great with this machine, I've really had no problems or infections since I got it, with this one exception.
    There is no toggle switch, looked and probed all over.

6. plodr

Do you really mean L505-ES5018 because I can't find a model based on what you typed.

7. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Whoops! Yes, I typed an extra 5 in there. :-o
    L505-ES5018, from the bottom tag.

8. plodr

When you hold down the function key, do you see symbols at the top of your screen, called Hot Cards?

If so, does anything happen when you click the touchpad card with the mouse cursor?

Is this the version of the touchpad driver you have installed Version: 13.2.6.1 | Size: 28.62M ?

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

No, when I hold down the FN key, nothing occurs? But, for instance, F5 does refresh.
    V13.2.6.1 20Jul09
    No size given.
    But should something occur when one holds down the FN, function, key?

10. plodr

According to the manual, when you hold down the Fn key, you should see squares at the top of the screen for what the esc through F9 keys do.

You have the proper driver.

I'm out of ideas. Fn + F9 is supposed to toggle the touchpad off and on, on your model.

11. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

12. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Problem solved! Found a thread suggesting, among other things, going to all programs - Toshiba - Utilities - Restart flash cards. This was in relation to the Fn key not working.
    Then the Fn key caused the pop up squares at the top of the screen, and enable touchpad, it works!
    Now, what the heck this has to do with Flash cards??? But, it worked, for the record.
    Thanks Plodr for pointing to the right direction, I would have never gone down that road of inquiry to fix this problem

13. plodr

For some reason Toshiba calls things Hot Key Cards and Application cards.
    I was looking at page 194 of the manual.

If you need the manual, I can upload it and throw you the link to download the pdf. It is 4.43MB.

14. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Plodr,
    Thanks again, though I rarely use the touchpad, it's good to know I can now should the mouse die!
    This was one of those obtuse problems... touchpad not working because F9 key not working because Fn key not working but Fn repaired by restarting flash card thereby enabling F9 key again!??? Not exactly a straight line solution but the type which is often found by having outside expertise added to the mix. I doubt if the manual would have helped me find that but if I should need it I would appreciate the link you have that I can then bookmark it.
    Thanks again, my lappy's been like this for at least a couple of years and I just suddenly got the urge to fix it.

15. plodr

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds